You can type here any text you want

Car acting up has me stumped....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTA850

Hopefully one of you guys can make a suggestion I havent thought of yet. Here's what it's been doing.

Lately, scince the end of June(though this happened once before on June 4th)the car has been having what seems to be a loss of power in 3rd gear for no apparent reason. Normally I shift the car at around 5200-5400rpm and it drops down to 4600-4700rpm in the next gear. However now when I shift to 3rd(sometimes it does it in second)the rpms drop to 4100rpm and the car just feels like it has no power. Here's the strange part, it does this bad only if I build boost and launch it with like 10psi, if I just floor it and let the car go it's better - not 100% but better. It still loses power but doesnt seem to lose it as soon.

So far I've done a compression check and thats ok, I dont have the tools to do a leakdown so I havent done that but then again I dont think it's an internal engine problem. I've changed the plugs, wires, coilpack, and module with no success. I've swapped out the ECM and it's still there. I opened the dump thinking maybe the muffler was collapsed because thats what it feels like(a clogged cat on a normal car)and it didnt help. All the readings on the directscan seem normal. I cleaned the fuel filters to see if they were clogged but they were clean.

I did a fuel pressure check at WOT and did find something funny, I have the fressure set at 46psi line off(I know seems high but 46-47psi is where we found the 83's to be happy, any less it would foul plugs on warmup)and am running 19-20psi of boost so this should mean the fuel pressure should rise to 65-66psi under WOT right? I tested today and was only seeing 61-62psi. It holds steady and the 02's seem fine but I'm wondering if maybe the pump or regulator are acting up. How much does you guys pressure drop from your static setting when you hook the vac line back up? Mine was dropping like 4psi down to around 42-43psi.

Also the valvesprings have been in the car scince beginning of last year, normally I'll change them before the new season but in an effort to save a few bucks I had my friends test them and he said they were ok. I ordered a new set anyway and they should be here tomorrow so I should have them on the car in a few days.

Well thats alot for now, I hope someone can give me an idea cause having this car not right is keeping me from the track and thats killing me.

Send me a direct scan file to look at ,

Idoxlr8_70@yahoo.com

Its either mechanical or electrical. Mechanical happens no matter what the condition.. in other words bad springs are bad springs. They dont go bad and all of a sudden get better. Or if you had too much leakdown.. the VC's would be covered with oil from the breathers.

The tranny can hold you back. This is a hard one to diagnose. And its happened to me when I had installed the stagerite into mine where on the top end it dropped 2-3 MPH. Took the brake off.. back to normal. I went for 3 months changing stuff.

If the battery voltage is holding during a run, injectors are staying steady, O2's are not crashing.. fuel pump is probably ok. Tho it should track 1 PSI per PSI boost.

Have you swapped chips? Maybe get Eric to make you a totally different program??.. due to electrical.

Sent you 3 files. I agree, if it's a mechanical problem it should be consistant. I suppose it could be the trans, maybe something wrong with the converter??? Other than this the car hasnt been acting up, it's been running and driving perfectly normal. It's been running a little on the warm side but then again it's been warm out lately too.

I'm at a loss and am ready to start changing parts ie crank sensor, cam sensor, ESC module, ect.. but wanted to get some opinions before I go crazy :D

Steve

Originally posted by fly89gta
you should give me your crank, heads and boost controller :D:D:D;)

Why dont I just drop my motor in your car ;) and make room for a nice simple, reliable small block chevy :rolleyes:

I've always said there's nothing like a turbo buick motor when it's running right, the problem is when it's not running right it can drive you nuts :mad:

Steve

Funny you should mention that the T brake slowed you down Julio. A while back I did a FB launch and picked up ~4 mph out the back door. Made another pass with the SR and the car was back down??? What in the hell could the SR have to do with loosing so much MPH? Next time to the track I'm going to look into this in greater detail....a more scientific approach at least:) Your story about gaining MPH is not the first time I've heard/read about this....I dismissed it as too much of the hard stuff.

I was running the stock turbo and getting 109-111 MPH consistently. I had done two things at that time, stagerite and shift kit(Art Carr), went back to the track and the car now trapped 105-106. I mean 105-106 on every run.

So I swap coil pack/ign module, plugs, check grounds, change gas, change fuel filters, swap ecm's, swap chips, swap MAF.. same 105-106 at best. at this point I was getting upset.. go buy a set of valve springs.. back to the track.. 105-106. At this point looking at DS runs and accelleration rates.. once the car hit 100MPH it was like it was hitting a wall. So that pointed me to the tranny. I removed the valve body like 3 times making sure every detail was 100%.. back to the track 105-106. Pulled the stagerite out.. 110 came again. Everybody I told this too..nah cant be.. It shouldnt.. no way.. my car never.. 3 months of trying stuff.. only nice thing was weekly visits to the track. Just sucked to get the car running 110..then something takes 4 out.

What can I say? I dismissed it as an incompatability with either the TTF valve body or Art Carr shift kit.. whatever it was..3 ATF bath's.. I was done.

Steve i'll look at the files latter today,

Julio

My guess is converter is/going bad. Maybe fluid is burnt also? I would think something transmission wise.

I will say this though, my "lower" MPH numbers are at least VERY consistant pass after pass...just not as high as I know they should be. With any luck in the next week or so I'll get back to the track and run multiple FB passes and compare the data with my SR runs and see what i come up with. The car is still gaining at least 24 mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4 even with the boost loss problem...can't imagine what it might be if it turns out the SR is sucking power/mph away:) Eric sent me a new chip with some trick programming/coding to help combat the boost loss and to be more compatable with your PAC....can't wait to try it. Sorry to hijack your thread TTA850.

Back