You can type here any text you want

car dies will going down the road

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trophystock

I took my TTA down the road today for the first time in about 3 months. It started fine and ran good for about two miles then simply quit. I limped to the gas station (gauge was on empty and I was thinking it was out of gas) and put 10 gal. in. It then started up fine and ran well for another mile or so then simply quit again. It will always fire up and idle but will not take any throttle at all. It is like a carb that is simply sucking the bowl dry. The longer I let it set the longer it will run well when I start it back up. It idles fine but quits while I am driving down the road at a steady throttle. I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and and has good pressure. I changed the stock chip out for a thrasher chip but it didn't help. I swapped MAS out with another but no help. I did see on the scan tool my CTS go to 300* for a second so I swapped it out for a new one. I have no trouble codes except for a "high coolant temp error". Any ideas? I will start checking grounds in the morning and start looking at the TTC also.
Thanks,
Charles :confused:

As simple as it sounds, and as much as it might p*ss you off... I had the same issue. Exactly as you describe. Idle, low/no throttle okay. Gas pedal? Car would die.

Found that one of the hoses (don't remember which) was 'blown off' as they say. I think it was from the intercooler to the up pipe. I think...

But, as soon as I corrected that (refit and tightened) it hasn't happend once since.

Didn't visually look like an issue. But at the side of the road, I took a chance. That was 3 mos ago. Never once happened afterwards.

Food for thought.

Otherwise, also sounds dumb. Take the uppie off and look for oil. Not as bad as you described, but the same stumble. Clean the IC, uppie and TB/Doghouse. Get rid of (if you haven't already) the oil line from the VC to the turbo... install a breather.

Elementary, I know. Just trying to help as you desrcibe exactly the symptoms I had as well.

Michael

I tried several different MAS but no help. I attached the MAS directly to the TB and made sure I had no vacume leaks and everything was buttoned up tight. The car went less then 1/4 mile and dead. I limped back home and checked the scanner and there it was again my high coolant temp code. It spiked again at 300*. I then unplugged it and the car ran fine (drove it for about 10 miles) I pulled over and plugged the CTS back in and bingo, in a 100 yards the same thing!! This is a brand new sensor. I check the plug and the wiring at the computer and looks fine. I wonder if the yellow wire that carries the 5 volts out to the sensor has an open in it somewhere? .:(

Charles,

Drop the computer down and while you have the car running, watch your coolant temp readings and listen to the endine while rapping on the computer case and see if there is any change or simply swap out the computer. That is probably tour problem. Let me know what you find. Have a great evening!

Thanks,
Bryan :)

I went this morning to radio shack and picked up a 330 ohm resister. Put that in and it showed me a 171* coolant temp. I didnt make it to the end of my driveway before the car quit on me. I back up to the garage and took the computer out of my other car and bingo!!! It ran like a top. It was a bad ECM after all!!.
Thanks everybody,
Charles

Back