You can type here any text you want

car leans to the passenger side..bushings?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oc192

My car has an ocassional rattle on the passenger from teh exhaust hitting underneath. This has been pried down a few times now but the noise eventually comes back. I noticed that my car leans a little to the passenger side so I measured the corners.

Driver Front = 25.5
Driver rear = 26.5
Pass front = 25.25
Pass rear = 26

So the passenger side sits roughly a half inch lower than the driver. I am planning on freshing up the shocks and springs. I have read about body bushings being a possible cause for the lean. What all is involved in replacing the bushings and how much should I expect to pay to have them replaced? Do you think this is the main cause of the exhaust hitting underneath?

You have to unbolt the body from the frame and raise it up to get to all of the body bushings. Is your suspension otherwise stock? You haven't replaced a rear sway bar, have you?

Yeah, I replaced the rear sway bar a few months ago. The original rusted through and snapped off on the passenger side.

Was it leaning before that? If you tightened the new sway bar without having a load on it, i.e. up on stands, that could be a cause too. Scot w. had talked about this at one time.

Measure your edge of your tires in the front, to the fender lips on both sides,when you do your body bushings,re-center it,your battery still in stock location?

Enjoy!

I have the same lean. I replaced the rear shocks today and planning on doing the fronts tomorrow. I measured the body to the frame and it looks consistent but I also have a bar I put on and tightened it in the air. I will go loosen it and see what happens.

Shocks won't effect the ride height. Springs and body bushings will though. You need to get under the car and find out what's going on.

The passenger side is a half an inch lower on both the front and the back compared to the drivers side. Rear springs are newer kirban variable rate rears. Fronts are stockers. Measuring from below it appears that the frame to the body dimension is pretty consistent.

Don't be surprised if the body mount is rusted so bad the bushing is either up in the body or down through the frame. That is your inch right there, good chance the rattle is the body touching the frame because there is no bushing.

Don't be surprised if the body mount is rusted so bad the bushing is either up in the body or down through the frame. That is your inch right there, good chance the rattle is the body touching the frame because there is no bushing.

Can't argue here. That's what I found.:eek::mad:

I have had a couple of G-bodies and A-bodies that lean usually the passenger side is higher than the drivers side though after swapping springs,sway bars,body bushings nothing cured it so I use the poor mans method to fix it use a shorter sway bar end link on the higher side it evens out the front and when you pull down one front corner it makes the opposite rear corner raise the same amount you can get it to sit correct every time and it does not effect the handling one bit

I've got the opposite problem. Drives side is abot a half inch or so lower. Spring's and poly bushings are new all the way around. Just finished replacing the body mount cushions with energy's kit. No change. Frame holes were in decent shape. Not sure what to do now.

Back