Car loves e85....what next?

zleepr1

My 1987 WE4 is dialed in on e85. IDC is at 80% (60#) with an afr of 11.0, 22psi. I am going to swap out the 2 year old racetronix pump with a DW301 in the near future. No track time, just a street car for now but i'd have to guess low 12's with my combo. It's a blast on the street!

I thought I'd be happy at this level but you know how it goes. I'm considering bumping up to 80's and a bigger turbo (currently running a rebuilt stock turbo). I'd like to stick with the stock ecm. My question is the about the stock downpipe. I'm running a 2.5" pypes cat back and test pipe. Is the stock downpipe a restriction at this point?

Hey man, I just shot you a PM. Check your messages.

To answer your question about the downpipe-yes it is going to become a restriction if you go with a larger turbo and start running more boost.

Hey man, I just shot you a PM. Check your messages.

To answer your question about the downpipe-yes it is going to become a restriction if you go with a larger turbo and start running more boost.

Concur. The turbocharger works on pressure differential. High pressure on the engine side of the impeller, and low pressure on the exhaust side.

The downpipe can almost never be too big. We want low pressure in that exhaust so the air moves through that exducer housing as rapidly as possible in as high a volume as possible.

Thank you guys. That'll be next on the mod list. I'm looking at the RJC 3" w/internal wg. Looks like it should bolt up with no fitment issues.

I have the RJC 3" on my car and love it it sounds great too. But I think Tyler (marleyskater) was trying to unload a 3" terry Houston DP which is also another great DP for our cars. you might be able to save yourself about $100 or so by picking up that one versus a new RJC one. fwiw I got my rjc pipe used but with a little bit of mothers polished it looks brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replacing the turbo and increasing the manifold pressure further even without changing the pipe will yield much greater gains than changing the pipe only. There's probably 3/4 or a second and 6-7mph with a turbo swap to a 49 or 44. If you can feed it and possibly more. Changing the pipe on current setup might get you 1mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just switched to e85 and can already feel a difference. No track times yet but I'll get it to the track this fall. Mods are in sig. running 27# at my mechanics house for the new trans and xfi. Should be a good ride.

I'm setting up for a larger turbo and was thinking that the stock elbow might not flow enough. I never really thought about a larger dp until I started thinking about a bigger turbo. Wouldn't I get more out of a larger turbo with a 3" downpipe? With the turbo I'm going to do larger injectors and a better pump. Those will be on next year's list.

I'm setting up for a larger turbo and was thinking that the stock elbow might not flow enough. I never really thought about a larger dp until I started thinking about a bigger turbo. Wouldn't I get more out of a larger turbo with a 3" downpipe? With the turbo I'm going to do larger injectors and a better pump. Those will be on next year's list.

I ran a te44 with a 3in downpipe on 93/alky with 42injectors/340 pump with a tt chip ran a 12.0. Would of gone faster had I had more runs in. Since going e85 i upgraded to a 450pump/80 injectors and new fuel lines along with the new xfi and better trans. I'm interested to see how i fair too.

My 1987 WE4 is dialed in on e85. IDC is at 80% (60#) with an afr of 11.0, 22psi. I am going to swap out the 2 year old racetronix pump with a DW301 in the near future. No track time, just a street car for now but i'd have to guess low 12's with my combo. It's a blast on the street!

I thought I'd be happy at this level but you know how it goes. I'm considering bumping up to 80's and a bigger turbo (currently running a rebuilt stock turbo). I'd like to stick with the stock ecm. My question is the about the stock downpipe. I'm running a 2.5" pypes cat back and test pipe. Is the stock downpipe a restriction at this point?

No .. not at the
Point your at now

If you up the Ante with 80's, dw301,turbo ... your gonna hurt the trans pretty quick with that power

Stock downpipe works ok until you get to 114-115 power level.. then its time for an upgrade

No .. not at the
Point your at now

If you up the Ante with 80's, dw301,turbo ... your gonna hurt the trans pretty quick with that power

Stock downpipe works ok until you get to 114-115 power level.. then its time for an upgrade

I had Jimmy rebuild the trans last year with his race trans configuration. Should be good well into the 10's.

I had Jimmy rebuild the trans last year with his race trans configuration. Should be good well into the 10's.

Gotcha .. yeah the stock turbo, injectors, fuel pump have to go ... when you upgrade those a downpipe will help out .. car should be low 11's with that

Gotcha .. yeah the stock turbo, injectors, fuel pump have to go ... when you upgrade those a downpipe will help out .. car should be low 11's with that

He's picking up my 3" THDP with test pipe and dump, so that should help a bit with his turbo.

I'm looking forward to see what kind of results he is gonna pick up with his setup.