You can type here any text you want

car runs rough. . .?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
my 87 GN runs perfect and very smooth when i first start it up and let it warm up. then when i shut it off for say 15 to 30 minutes and start it back up again it idles very rough and acts like it is going to die. once i put it in gear and drive it for a few minutes it acts normal again except that it will die on me on rare occasions. i know this isnt much info but has anyone else had this problem?

That's interesting, my GN does the same thing, except it does it when it's cold, upon start up. After driving it a couple of mins it runs fine, and mine also dies rarely. I presented this problem before, and was given the suggestion to check/replace my coolant sensor, though I havnt tried that yet.

Could be a bad MAF sensor when they go bad or start to go bad they cause all kinds of weird problems. Is it an original GM MAF or a reman.?

Have you tried the "tap test" on the MAF? Idling, take something hard (like a screwdriver handle) and tap the MAF. Does it change your idle characteristics when you do that? (Speed up, stutter, etc.) I would recommend going with the LT1 MAF and the Translator. See Ramchargers.com and order the MAF from GM Parts Direct.

Keith

is that the only way to test forbad MAF? with how clumsy i am i will probably smack it hard enough to break it anyways even if its not broken.
other than being able to tune my car more, if i go that route, with the LT1, will there be any noticeable performance gains with just the new MAF.

My O2 sensor did weird things after only a year of use, car ran pretty bad. Bought a denso and haven't had any more problems. Just a thought.

Originally posted by 87GNcospg
is that the only way to test forbad MAF? with how clumsy i am i will probably smack it hard enough to break it anyways even if its not broken.
other than being able to tune my car more, if i go that route, with the LT1, will there be any noticeable performance gains with just the new MAF.

The only other way I know of is to swap with a known good MAF. Since I'm not there anymore you're going to have to find someone with a Turbo Regal to swap with. (I think that Dave Edwards left too.) There is another TR on Peterson, but I don't know who it belongs to. Maybe if your Dad sees it he can leave a note on the windshield. Jose at the auto parts store on Academy and Pikes Peak has an older TR and might know somebody in the area with a newer one with a MAF like yours.

Keith

If you didn't notice, I live like 30 minutes away from him :P

15 minutes in TR time.

Back