You can type here any text you want

carb vs fuel inj

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

my35

i have a 1979 3.8 4bbl turbo and i would like to know would it be a lot of work to change it to a fuel injection turbo? And would my mileage and horse power increase.

thanks for any and all help

mark:confused:

well pick any HA or intercooled car and swap the motor.

thats what its going to take.

Definitly not an easy job to undertake if buicks are new to you.

Horsepower and Mileage is better with the fuel injection cars, but it wont be cheep to swap all of the parts over ... theres a thread in the HA section talking about converting to the intercooled system and most believe the cost is around 2000$

Keep the carb, love it, save money - then sell it and just get a GN.

will save you alot of headaches.

A.j.

Yes you can and Aj is mostly right. If you do some searching on evil bay, craigslist, swap meets you might get lucky on the parts but you'll still spend a but load on parts. As far as the labor I hope you're good at electrical work and fabrication for the dash will have to be changed out and the under dash harness and then the back half. Several guys have done it and I considered on my T Type but I don't think I will for all the headaches involved.

dissasembly is not for the faint of heart, trust me. On top of that you don't want to ruin a perfectly good carb turbo car. If you want an sfi car, sell the one you have and save for one.

I have heard that on N/A Chevy's and such that you can convert the carb to a throttle body, drill and weld in injector bungs in the intake, do all the other good SFI stuff (fuel rail, fuel pump and stand alone computer) and viola, you have a fuel injected engine. I always thought about doing something crazy like that on my '78 Sport Coupe, but got rid of it before I had the money.

I think he's talking about changing the carb for a TBI from what I read useta.

rochester or ????

:o this may be a dumb question but do you have to use a Rochester carb with the turbo or can you use something like an edlebrock 4 bbl instead?????

mark

:o this may be a dumb question but do you have to use a Rochester carb with the turbo or can you use something like an edlebrock 4 bbl instead?????

mark

you should be able too, but nobody has any data on using them in the manner.

A.j.

You could use a tbi replacement and there's several available in the after market. Accel is just one of them and they're stand alone so you don't have to worry about O2 sensors.

To each his own I guess. I'd rather spend the money on a homemade alky kit, a set of heads and port and polish the crap out of everything:cool:

Back