You can type here any text you want

Carb'd Turbo questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boostedcobra

Ok im new to the turbo buick thing and i dont own a turbo buick, I have been coming here since before the big crash and dreamed about owning one. So I thought id ask a few questions about them. How reliable were the carb'd turbos, I mean i have owned a 79 Cobra mustand with a carb turbo engine and it wasnt really hard on the wallet for its age but i was wondering how the buicks were. Also how readily availible are parts for these. Last question I know they wont run with a GN but how were there times

Thanks, Jon

Here is a link to the stock times: http://www.flash.net/~rjgeorge/accel.htm

Last Nov I run a 16.8 et with only 7 psi boost and 3/4 Throttle with the mods listed below. I'm still running the stock TC & Turbo. FC227 (Fred) is in the low 13's ... We're all hoping he brakes in to the 12's this year. B4Black I beleive is running in the 15'3 running stock.

Thank you for the kind words Jim.

The only problem with the carbed turbo Buick’s in my opinion is that OE parts are getting harder to find. So you have to use, used equipment. Rebuilding and fabricating which keeps me (us) busy. The good news if you need something, someone on this list usually has what you are looking for.

The engine in my car gets about 20 MPH, and the Best Et I have ran was a 13.34 @99.80 MPH @2200' altitude. That corrects to sea level @ 13.02 @102.47 MPH.

One other thing we can not intercool are setup’s because of the draw though design. So some of us are injecting Alky/water after the turbo to act like a “intercooler”

I'm on the verge of becomming a 1982 Turbo owner that is in number 1 original condition with a unmolested low mileage turbo motor. What Parts would I want to scour the salvage yards and collect for these cars, that may prove invaluable in the future. I would plan on keeping this car for a long time, but it will be driven.

Back