You can type here any text you want

Carbed G body Throttle cable /pedal ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Little6pack

My son was complaning about a sticky peda in his gbodyl.
I took his car for a ride and I am noticing what he say's.
The pedal sticks right off idle & when you push harder the car jumps off the line.. there is no easy push like it use to have.

I have a feeling the pedal pivot point is either worn or needs lube.. What if any lube would you try? White grease or w40

(in my own 87 TT it is smooth and looks to be the same pivot point since all gbodys are alike)

Start with the WD40 first and see if it loosens up. If it does then try the grease.

Check the carb linkage. I would suspect that before the pedal and cable.

Unhook the cable at the carb and see if the pedal still sticks or not.

Check the carb linkage. I would suspect that before the pedal and cable.

Unhook the cable at the carb and see if the pedal still sticks or not.

Right,check the carb linkage,sometimes the carb linkage sticks on the side of the plenum when using a non turbo carb

So what i do if it is the carb linkage?

The Carb is a edlebrock 1406 electric choke.
The Throttle cable is factory unit
The Pedal is factory unit

So what i do if it is the carb linkage?

The Carb is a edlebrock 1406 electric choke.
The Throttle cable is factory unit
The Pedal is factory unit

If the linkage on the carb is binding when the cable is connected and does not bind when disconnected, then you may have to use an aftermarket throttle cable bracket to go along with that carb if the OEM bracket has the cable geometry off. It may be possible to bend and manipulate the OEM throttle bracket and have the throttle operate smooth if this is where the problem lies and not with the cable and pedal assembly itself.

Ok I disconnected the cable. The issue is the Carb.
Member pronto suggested pulling the Carb off and flip it over to see if carbon/dirt has built up on the throttle plate bar and bushing
This may make sense because we can't get the idle below 1k. This is an edlebrock Carb. I was definitely having trouble moving the lever by hand. I will post up results.

Go and get a Holley and be done with it. I'm not a big fan of the Edlebrock design, butif you can find an original Carter you should be ok.

I have had edelbrock bind and bend at the shafts before.... I dont understand why either, I think it has to do with the way the "lever" action of the linkage works.

if the spring or something was not right it caused a pulling motion or something like that I heard a while back. I have 1 on the shelf now that is like that.

A.j.

Problem solved!

Took to local carb shop that has a 3 man crew. These boys are busy!

Old timer comes to counter.
In I swear 2 seconds he grabbed a tool & had the primaries workin smooth as silk before I could see what he did. Then he said wait, your secondaries need adjustment. Another 15 seconds he had those adjusted. :eek:

He said FREE NC... I said No WAY tossed him a $20 and said buy Lunch on me.

Back