You can type here any text you want

Changing Valve Springs!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bobtempest

Staff member
I need some quick tips/hints on changing my valves springs. What is the easiest way & such. I will have the TB & Dog House off. Also access to a compressor.

Thanks in Advance

Rob

OK, other than the obvious, A chevy style spring compressor (crow bar looking "L") works fine on all but the #6 where it hits the firewall but can be made to work if you are patient enough. Also have new retainers as you will lose at least 2 (experience talking) and will never find them after launching them at nearly the speed of sound (I think mine are stuck in the rafters of my garage LOL) Other than that, not too difficult to do.

don't forget the compressed air to fill the cylinder or your valves will fall inside the cylinder..................... check and double check the last thing you want is a mistake like that. Since you have access to a compressor I'm sure you'll have no problems

I would have mentioned that but thought thats what he meant by the compressor comment. Also, with good air pressure the valve will reclose if you accidentally pop it open when trying to get the spring compressed (I was scared at first when I heard the air rushing)

When you try to compress the springs some on the valves will want to open against the air pressure(locks sticking in the retainers). Get a soft headed hammer and wrap the top of the valve a couple of times. This will help free the sticking locks. Just kind of try to barely compress the spring and see if the retainer and locks split or stay stuck together. When you see that valve and locks are staying put and the retainer and the spring are moving down then your good to compress that one. Compress them just enough to give the locks enough room to be removed, then remove the locks with a telescoping magnet. When you go to reinstall the locks use a little dab of wheel bearing grease this has just enough "stickyness" to it to keep gravity from making them fall off on you. If I remember correctly the hardest part of the whole deal was the r&r of the driver side valve cover.

HTH: Jason

1BadTTA mentioned an "L" style spring comp. Is there a better style that will work like a charm on all of the valves?

Brent

Back