Cheap C5 13" Brakes for G-Bodies

turbofish38

Le Pétomane
Ran across this on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2426784203&category=33564&rd=1
Click on his link to his website and checkout how he put 13" rotors on the front of a 3rd gen F-Body. 3rd gen and G-bodies share the same basic spindle so I would think you could do this to a TR. Now he gives part numbers for the caliper and other brackets you need, but I'm not to thrilled about red calipers with Corvette on them so I checked and the non Z06 calipers use the same brackets and pads so the stock gray calipers(with Corvette on them) will work. Now here is the kicker, upgrading to Z06 calipers is a common thing to do on a C-5 and even a few aftermarket companies sell complete kits which leads me to believe you could probaly pick up a set really cheap. Heck who knows maybe a complete set up is available used from the many Vette only salvage yards across the country. About the only part that might keep the average guy from doing this is the machining of the hubs. Anybody out there have the skill and equipment to do this?

Eric Fisher

You can use a brake lathe to cut off the rotor face and turn down the outside diameter. The extra length studs are needed. The bracket you can also make yourself, but it is time consuming, but can be done with a minimum of tools. The brake lathe is the ONLY special equipment needed. I've already done this upgrade using the C4 Gran Sport caliper which is what Baer uses.

If you do a search on this forum, you will find a post that I wrote about a month or so ago detailing what has to be done to accomplish this swap. We have done this swap on a 96 Impala SS. It is time consuming, but works great. Hardest parts are making the caliper brackets and machining the spindles.