check engine light??

vinbags44

My check engine light came on....dont know why but will disconnecting the battery for an hour or so turn it off?? :confused:

Since your engine is OBDII controlled, disconnecting the battery will do more harm than good. Your engine computer has the ability to see freeze frame data before and after a malfunction occurs. The freeze frame data also allows a technician the ability to try and duplicate the conditions that turned on the service engine soon(SES) light. Typical freeze frame data includes the following:calculated engine load, rpm, short term and long term fuel trim, fuel pressure, vehicle speed, coolant temp., intake manifold pressure, closed/open loop status, MAP, the DTC that caused the freeze frame data to be stored and if the code stored is for misfire (and if it is , the specific cylinder(s) causing the misfire).
By disconnecting the battery, you lose all that data plus the fault code information. Additionally, new codes will not set until the specific readiness monitor associated with that code has run. It will be very hard to diagnose if you clear the above data.
By the way, what was the driving situation that turned the SES on? you weren't pumping gas with the engine running to keep warm, b/c that will set an evap code?

SES light

Thanks alot for the info!! I turned the car on one day and it was on....the car runs fine though...no problems at all....:p

ses light

i have a scanmaster that isnt hooked up yet....do you think i will get some sort of code telling me whats wrong?

You'll only get codes form your scanmaster if it can read generic OBDII or manufacturer specific OBDII codes

ses light

When i take the car out in a few weeks im gonna hook up the Scanmaster.....ill let you know what happens.:D