You can type here any text you want

Check out these Main caps

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

20psiofevil

Wanted to share the main caps used in the ford supercharged 3.8l v6. Do these look beefy compared to the billet caps for the 109? arp 1/2" studs tq'd to 120 ftlbs.

Attachments

• main caps.jpg
    main caps.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 722
Why not, its worth the extra effort in strength and piece of mind, it could also be a deciding factor in future mods.

Here is a 4 bolt conversion for a 01-04 block (which I have 2 of in my garage). The late model has the most material under the webbing and plenty of room to tap for a splayed bolt or dowel. The other image is of a ford 4.0l sohc block. This block could be made bullet proof with the right hardware in it.

Attachments

• 4boltmaincaps3-2.jpg
    4boltmaincaps3-2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 428
  • girdle.JPG
    girdle.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 444
I had a 92 supercoupe way back from n the day. What kind of power and numbers can they get out of these cars?

They (main caps) look similar to the Buick 3.8 caps. The block doesnt looks quite as strong, its not a deep skirt.
The Ford Super Coupes were pretty neat, but didnt hear alot about them.

Think its funny that all the powerful, efficient engines of yesterday and today use 3.8 liter sixes. GTR, 911, GN/TR, SUPERCOUPE.:)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I had a 92 supercoupe way back from n the day. What kind of power and numbers can they get out of these cars?

A super coupe or the ford v6 in general? Fastest sc I know of with a modified m-90 blower has been flat 10. Pretty sure he swapped the irs to sra and the over drive crank is every bit 1ft across. The fastest ford v6 I know of has been high 8's with an 80mm turbo but this was in a fox body. There are a handful of mid 9sec mustang v6's. I hope to join the ranks one day soon. I have never heard of anyone cracking one of these blocks though. The webbing under the mains is real thick. The picture up top with the 4 bolt mains was originally a 2 bolt block, so there is plenty of material to tap for the splayed bolts. That motor is built to with stand over 1000rwhp. With my build I was told 700rwhp then the weak point would be the head studs.

Think its funny that all the powerful, efficient engines of yesterday and today use 3.8 liter sixes. GTR, 911, GN/TR, SUPERCOUPE.:)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
I've often thought that too. I loved my supercoupe. Nice car. Just needed a turbo instead if supercharger.

i read somewhere that Ford copied the Buick 3.8 design in the 90's 4 litre motors...4.6 4.2 4.0

I thought the same thing too about the Ford 3.8 when I worked at a Ford dealer in the 90's, it is similar to the Buick 3.8 but it defiantley ISNT copied

Similar but not the same. 90d push rod v6. I think they are similar enough buick could be powered by the ford obd2 eec though.

Very interesting. I can never get over how fast I thought my cars were back in the late 90's and how pathetic they are now. My supercoupe only had 210 hp and yet seemed so fast to that young me. My 98 cobra was what I thought at the time a bad ass with 305 horse. Lol. Now my daily driverlife which feels like a turd compared to my gn has 500 and my gn is probably in 600 range. Granted the daily driver has a 1000 pounds on the gn too. Anyway, because of this I never argue or berate kids who think their cars are fast, because I was there once myself.

No doubt times have changed! I think it is incredible what they are getting from these new v6's. I had a set of max effort cylinder heads on my forged piston 3.8l that flowed 280cfm. This was with $1800 worth of work done to heads I supplied and did not include the valve train componets. I was looking on Tom Yentzer's web page and he is doing a lot of work with the new ford v6 engines. States the new dohc cosworth style v6 heads flow over 300cfm with mild porting!!! If anyone is interested check out this webpage and check out the cyclone tech section. Supersixmotorsports.com. There is also a few turbo builds floating around for this motor. 10sec potential on 12psi!

Back