Checking engine timing with light. Fast b2b

1000MileStylez

Black Sheep
By miricle got the engine running somewhat. I think my timing is way off. I want to check the base reference angle. How do I go about doing this. Which screen should I be looking at while I’m checking the balancer and what mark on the balancer should I be looking at?

Well the first thing you should have done is to verify that the timing mark/slot on the balancer aligns with the "0" mark on the timing tab when the piston is at TDC. Normally this is verified during the engine rebuild.

With a FAST B2B system, going from memory, the best way to check timing is to look at your timing table in your tune and make sure that you have the same timing value at or near all the surrounding cells at idle or whatever RPM your checking your timing at so that it wont change if it wonders out of that cell. You will also have to zero out the timing offset vs rpm trim table so its not making corrections during your check. Make sure that there are no other timing corrections being made by a temperature or coolant offset table. This will have to be done with a dial back timing light and remember to bring your timing tables back to where you started when you are done.
AG.

I didn’t know about the timing offset page. I’ll set that all to 0. Tdc is at 0 when piston is up on comp. That helps thanks. Since I made this post did more digging and I have other factors involved like my msd box not set correctly. Also found that my heads an early set of champions only take the metal washer plugs. So I was loosing compression also.

I didn’t know about the timing offset page. I’ll set that all to 0. Tdc is at 0 when piston is up on comp. That helps thanks. Since I made this post did more digging and I have other factors involved like my msd box not set correctly. Also found that my heads an early set of champions only take the metal washer plugs. So I was loosing compression also.

The XFI makes it easy to check the timing because they have a check box to disable the timing trim tables but the older classic Fast you have to do this manually.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk