Chevy SSR will be this year's Indy 500 pace car

The SSR will carry on Chevrolet's strong V8 small block legacy. It will be powered by a new version of the Vortec 5300 V8 engine, featuring an aluminum block — a first for this engine. The Vortec 5300 has a peak horsepower of 290 @ 5200 RPM and 325 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4000 RPM.

i got that off of chevy.com

-neil

THIS MUST BE THAT STUPID LOOKING PICKUP TRUCK.......GOES WITH THE STUPID LOOKING MONTE CARLO. DELETE THE CAMARO. THIS MAKES FOR A GREAT FORD MUSTANG COMMERCIAL AND THAT'S OK BY ME.

The retro look is kind of neat, but I won't be getting too excited about the performance unless the weight gets down to a point that it is 10 lbs per HP. That's when things start getting exciting. Somehow with a power retractable top, I doubt it will weigh in at 2900 lbs. :(

Joe, I was hoping it would have been a tad competitive in the market. It has over 300 ft lbs of torque. Nothing crazy, Same thing with there new SS. hot truck but a lightening will kill it. shame. I like both though. Got to admit nothing else on the road looks like them.

I think weight is around 4000-4500

The units slated for Indy use are being referred to as:

the "Indy Pace Vehicle"...not car, not truck...vehicle. LOL!

And, there will be no Indy Pace Vehicle appearance package available to consumers.

325 ft of torque in a 4500 lb truck isnt much! hopefully next years model with have more balls. I would still buy one though.

at one time i was reading throught the heratige section or something of the chevy sight, and they were like it can not be cartorgized, nothing has been like it... blah blah influnces from 30 years ago... it makes no sense, the el camino ended its almost 30 year running in 88.. which would make it less than 30 years ago chevy was making a pick up car.. anyways i think its stupid how chevy dosent even give them selves credit for making a car a lot like that back in the day...

-neil

The new chevy SS silverado is sweet seen one today at Dealer great looking rig ext cab . I know not a real speed demon but hey it is a p/u will make a great tow rig . As for the lightning a friend has one those things fly ... but pretty useless in my opinion what buy a reg cab p/u for 35k if you want to race by a cobra . I would not I would buy a corvette have best worlds straightline& corners . just my 2cents I probably for of hotair did not mean offend ford guys :D

i was reading the road and track 03 buyers guide last night, and they say the '04 lightning production model is probably going to have an auto trans, but the prototype has a 6 speed. :rolleyes: thats crap, its looks so nice with the stick. a little off the topic, but i was pissed when i read this.

anybody end up reading that thing anyway? ferrari has a new car coming out called the "enzo ferrari" and you have to have a history of owning ferraris just to buy one of these $650k or so beasts. but it does make 660 hp:eek:

yea i got real into that mag last night since there wasn't much to do.

I am familiar with the output of the 5.3, as I had one in my Silverado. I was looking for 1/4 times. I just hope it gets out of the 15's. 4500# sounds way high though. What does a 4wd S10 weigh?

Originally posted by blackbuick87
What does a 4wd S10 weigh?

Around 3400lbs if memory serves me correct. Its been a while since I had my sy on the scales and old age isnt helping. LOL..

While the SSR is kinda neat looking it gets a big "YAAAAAAWN" from me (especially in the HP department). Another "midlifecrisismobile". :)

Originally posted by TTA89
Is that the Flagship "Sport Truck"???

Heh... Go Ford...

:cool:

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY. GM HAS BEEN BENDING OVER BACKWARDS TO SHOO AWAY PERFORMANCE ENTHUSIASTS. THIS EXPERIMENT IN RETRO IS NO COMPARISON TO THE THUNDERBIRD OR THE PROWLER, THOUGH I'M SURE THE COST IS UP THERE WITH THEM. IT LOOKS LIKE A STREAMLINED '52 CHEVY TRUCK TO ME.