You can type here any text you want

chips for 103 octane

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ken Cunningham

Post No Bills
Going to the track today. Have blue tops and some VP MS 103 unleaded. Also have the following chips for blues: Thrasher 92, Thrasher 108, Red's Race R36, Jay Carter 93 Street. The 92 and the 93 chips should be fine, but what about Reds Race? Is 103 enough? Is it worth running the Thrasher 108 at boost set to about 18-19#, or is it better to just keep that one out? Thanks,

I would run the street chips and just keep turning up the boost until it knocks. That's a lot safer than throwing a high timing chip in there with no octane.

Thanks for the reply, Jay. Your advice (as always) was right on. I did try the strip Thrasher for one run, but got 24 knock counts. It was a terrible day, all-in-all. The street chips loved the 103 octane unleaded, I could not get them to knock. Next time I'll try even more boost. But my problems were not engine related, but severe traction limitation. Street tires just do not cut it. I had to roll out at 0 boost, feather the throttle all the way thru 1st gear, ease up at the 1-2 shift, then ease off again at the 2-3. On one run I had the car just about sideways after the 2-3 shift at full throttle. On two others I had so much tire spin the runs were an abysmal 15 seconds. The car went thru at 101 mph though, so the horsepower is there. Next time: MORE TRACTION!

Back