Chrome parts?

chicagoTTA

Crack Baby
Anyone know a good source for chrome underhood parts (besides uppie, maf pipe) ?? I would like to make a nice show under the hood and haven't found any chrome parts.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

When I got my car about 3 years ago it had a chrome up pipe, MAF pipe, and turbo shield. To be honest, I did not care for it. I will admit the entire engine bay was a mess. Both mechanically and visualy (dirt). I have been powder coating things as of late. I started with the turbo shield and up pipe, then MAF pipe. In the spring I did a set of valve covers and I just finished up an alternator. I don't have any shots of the engine bay yet, but here are a couple of some parts off the car.

The vave covers:
http://www.goattraks.com/tmp/vc.jpg

The alternator:
http://www.goattraks.com/tmp/alt-comp.jpg

The powder coat holds up very well. As you can see I used white. The only real problem is the turbo shield due to heat. The first time it got good and hot the shield lost its shine. We took the chance figuring that is how it would act. A differnt color would/could hide it a little better. i have seen some use a light gray that looks very nice. I think Jan Larsson did it this way.

http://la.rsson.com/tta1078/

Brent

Looks nice. I'm sure we'd all love to see pics with those parts installed.

Question: The pass VC has a breather hole in it as well. How was this done? Did you find aftermarket VC's somewhere??

I really like the chrome look. I was actually considering going to a bigger TB and plenum just to get the look of it.

Speaking of which, is there a benefit to a bigger TB/Plenum??

Here is some examples of Chrome powder coating...

Intake, Timing cover, Valve covers..

No pix posted of the Plenum, Alternater and Alt braket as of yet..

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-myprojectgn

I understand that it is a hell of allot easier to keep versus the polished parts and might be less expensive than the chrome plated..

That "chrome" color powder is sweet. I choose white because it kind of flowed with the white TTA body. I will have to keep the chrome in mind for future projects. The real chrome I had was nice, I just had a hard time warming up to it. i guess I also wanted to make the car my own.

ChicagoTTA,

I hope to have some PICs this week end from the TA NATS. I have not had a chance to get the car out in good light since I installed the alternator. I will post them and update the thread.

As for your question on the breather hole. I used stock covers. Many 3.0L late 80's FWD cars had the same cover on the front bank as is on the drivers side of our car. There are 2 versions, one with a hole like ours and a second with a hole in the end. I decided to use the hole in the end version so that if I had issues filling the hole, as I did, it would be hidden. On the drivers side the alt hides it, on the pass side it is against the firewall. I used 2 front (Driver side) covers so that I had matching fill holes and could run a breather on each side. Notice the tube I had welded into the filler hole? The cast in boss used to secure the cap made a nice place to weld. I run 2 clamp on K&N breathers.

If you hit a yard to get a set of breathers I suggest you take the nuts, washers, and gromets as well. Don;t just drop them to the ground. I had everything I needed preped and ready to go before I made the swap. This way I used all scavanged parts to prepare and did not have the car down.

Brent

If you really want chrome, IMHO your best option is to ask around and find a good chromer. Then be prepared to lighten your wallet. Good quality chroming is real expensive. Look at some of the Ebay auctions for TTA and GN chrome parts - unbelievable. Because in the end, there is no substitute for chrome if that's what you want!

Powdercoating is great on the intake. Jet-Hot coating is another good option. Just polishing the intake is a waste on these motors because once they are in operation they will get grungy and you can't re-polish them easily - too much stuff in the way.

For the alternator you can buy a Powermaster. They come polished or chrome and you can keep your original.

You can get an Accufab polished throttle body and plenum from vendors like Jack Cotton.

I would use billet stuff in some places. For example, the water neck. The stock piece is junk; the billet looks good and wears better.

If you want to really get trick and are thinking about removing your a/c, look into the billet a/c delete stuff that Cotton's and Cal Hartline sells. REAL nice.

Everyone has their own idea of what to do with valve covers. I love it; it makes each car more individual. If you do a lot of polished and chrome stuff under the hood, consider polishing the fins on the valve covers and then black krinkle-coating the remainder. It offsets all the chrome and looks awesome IMHO.

Kirbans, Johns Performance and others have the cover-over stuff: blower motor, EGR solenoid, washer bottle caps, etc. You can go broke on that small stuff pretty easy :) I'm deeply disappointed with Kirban's stuff. They used to have decent quality chrome and the last few things I bought were absolute junk. They were dull and tarnished badly virtually right out of the bag. One part went bad sitting in the plastic bag in my room.

Where it get really expensive is when you try and buy another set of parts to chrome and keep your originals. Stuff like the heater pipes and hard vacuum lines off the throttle body are hard to come by and not cheap.

Chrome is contagious. IMHO, it needs to be balanced. Once you chrome one thing the part next to it looks dull and you do that one. That's how people end up with 80% chrome under the hood I guess.

I wish some people took more interest in their under-hood appearance. I love to look at peoples motors at car shows to see what each person has done, even if it's just restoration.

Agree on the chrome, it seems to be an addiction. There are a couple of GN's running around here that are FULL of chrome. It is almost hard to look at. You do have to work and balance what you do. I fell into that with my powder coating. The alternator I just did was for the very reason you mentioned, parts were looking grungy and I needed to balance with the turbo shield.

As for parts, I got a second one of everything (almost) I coated to keep the origionals or to sell. The up pipe and Turbo shiled I had where chrome so I kept them, east to get spares. Sold the shield on ebay for like $80, used!! The alternator on the TTA has a hard to find, very few cars had that casting number. The valve covers are their own animal. I just powder coated the MAF pipe. Other than that the factory black finish on the other parts seem to work well against the white. I was thinking of getting a chrome EGR cover, water bottle cap, etc so that I had metal parts and having them coated but I talk myself out of it as soon as I think about it. Just seems like too much for me. The only thing I think I will do something with is the vaccume block, I have one of the billet ones that is just a little too chrome like compared to anything else under there.

Brent

I thought I had a unique idea on my GN for that vacuum block. I got Casper's billet unit and had the side of it engraved with the "Power 6". Most people don't notice it, but when they do they think it's cool.

I got a 2nd set of valve covers when that guy (Phil?) from Kansas way raided the boneyards and got a load of valve covers and heads. I did the "dual breather" thing using 2 of the same side covers.

The chrome EGR cover thing is cool because that thing is ugly, especially when they get worn from the heat. Kirbans also sells a little "box" cover that covers the EGR solenoid.

Another think I like to do is the radiator cap. It's amazing how many people do up thier motors and leave the stock thing on. There are many things you can do. I have a red anodized one on one car and a Power-6 engraved chrome one on another.

Another trick with chrome stuff is to have parts that you don't want to notice blend into the motor and offset the chrome. For example, make everything else sitting on the intake manifold black so it looks monochrome (or whatever the right art term is!) and you don't notice the details.

Some people like the 2 tone approach; nothing but chrome or black on the motor. I like contrast, so I don't have a problem with using red spark plug wires and blue turbo hoses.

I know some people say why spend money on show when you can spend it on go, but to each their own. Personally, I want both! Of course, I'm greedy and it will take years to get there!

To Show, or, to Go, That is the question....

I've seen some pictures of engine compartments on this site that are a work of art. Made me humble ;)

I'm a grampa and from the generation that chromes everything that doesn't move. Its OK on a 40's-60's cruiser, but not for my TTA. I'm keeping it stock appearing.

I've seen some powder coating that is close to the original grey of the intake and valve covers that looks pretty good to me. If I powder coated anything it would be grey, or, sometimes black I suppose.

Are you fellas doing this yourself, or, hiring it out?

The powdercoating kits from places like Eastwood have really come down in price. You can pick up a cheap oven that would handle most of our parts. I know some people in the GN community starting playing with it. But the problem is volume - it's hard to justify buying the stuff if all you do is your own stuff. Unless you own 10 cars of course!

One trick thing I heard but have actually never seen in person is restoring the part to a factory finish and then clear powdercoating it. That would be ideal for an intake if you wanted to stay factory looking.

Just as an aside, some people comment that coating anything keeps the heat in. For a manifold, it would increase the air/fuel charge temp. It's true, but for 99% of us, I doubt we would notice. Same theory in reverse - coat the bottom of the intake to keep hot oil from heating the mainfold and the incoming charge.

Alternator people flip out when they seem them chromed or powdercoated. They say it retains heat and cuts the life of the components. Of course heat reduces the life of electrical components, but I haven't experienced premature failure.....yet.

Ohh I'm gonna get a lot of slack..

If it dont go..CHROME it :D :D

hehe

I did ceramic coating on my valvecovers and turbo shield..then had them glass bead blasted to make them sheen.. Looks like the picture of our motors in the GM literature.

Is there anything to do about "dressing-up" the battery? (Aside from spending over $150???

I have seen covers in Buicks, don't see why one would not work on a TTA. If the battery is a different size, or the price was insane, I wold just make my own. A little thin sheet, cut square to battery top size plus about an inch overhang, cut a triangle from the corners and bend down the edges. Weld up the joint and smooth with a grinder. Othere than that you would have to figure out a way to secure it.

Brent

$150 is the problem - only DC Tech is making them AKAIK, but even when Bowling Green Customs had them the price was around that.

I tried to talk Kevin Williams aka "Buick From Hell" into doing them engraved. He's the guy that offers all the engraved parts stuff. He didn't want to work on anything that big.

I guess I don't know enough about the cost of metal and machining, but I can't believe someone can't make something that looks decent and costs 1/2 the price.

Well next time I see one I will have to study it to figure out what costs a buck 50 to make. Not like that part is a turbo 6 only part. I may make that a project this winter. Like I said, some sheet, cut out triangels corners, bend the lips down, weld and grind out the seams. After that paint, powder coat, or otherwise finish to taste. I am sure there is more to be done, but I don't see it as all that difficult once you spend a few minutes looking at what you have to work with space wise that that you can plan ahead.

Brent

I was thinking that Kevin (A.K.A. Buick From Hell) could just use a thin sheet of aluminum, and maybe engrave a Power6 in it or anything else, and you could just attach it to the battery with silicon??????

He'll engrave anything except maybe your butt..... but the issue (like Brent is talking about) is that most people want something that has sides to it rather than just a top cover.

I looked at getting a piece and polishing it up then engraving it just as you mentioned. But it only looks good when you are looking straight down at it. Looking at it sideways looked cheap to me.

I was even looking for some kind of plastic box, like a Tupperware box that would fit over the battery. You could paint it and put on of BFH's power-6 decals on it.

I figure someday I'll stumble across something in a racing catalog that can be converted.