You can type here any text you want

Clean Aluminum wheels

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Best bet is to get them glass beaded and then clear coated! Once it’s clear coated you can use spray detailer to clean them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if they are so dirty corroded and nasty that no one will let you near their glass bead cabinet with them, Muriatic acid works.

Need rubber gloves, rubber booties or old shoes, a nylon brush on a stick, a rubbermaid dishwash container to put the acid in. Home Depot has everything you would need.

A gas mask works well too for the fumes to avoid if you have one, hose for rinsing.

After you can glass bead, re-clear, or paint and re-clear as mentioned.

I spent $10 on Eagle 1 Etching Mag Wheel Cleaner. It worked on my wheels which were in good shape to begin with. Brad

Lots and lots of youtube videos on this subject. The one that looked the best to me was a guy with a white Toyota truck and he used paint stripper on his wheels to get rid of the clear and bring them most of the way back in one step.

If you choose to use muriatic acid, MAKE SURE you have MORE than enough ventilation or fresh air. If you dont, you will understand

I spent $10 on Eagle 1 Etching Mag Wheel Cleaner. It worked on my wheels which were in good shape to begin with. Brad

This stuff works great, it’s just hard to find in most auto parts stores. Spray it on and scrub with a small wire brush. They come great.

I recently decided to clean my wheels and had the wheels "professionally" acid cleaned at 2 different shops. They didn't meet my standard.

I wanted to stay closer to the stock look and ended up doing 6 weeks of chemical research and testing various chemicals, and develop a repeatable processes.
I am 95% satisfied how they turned out.

The "before" pic was after the second pro chemical dip. "After" pic is what they look like now.

Attachments

• 2018-05-14 08.59.19.jpg
    2018-05-14 08.59.19.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 151
I recently decided to clean my wheels and had the wheels "professionally" acid cleaned at 2 different shops. They didn't meet my standard.

I wanted to stay closer to the stock look and ended up doing 6 weeks of chemical research and testing various chemicals, and develop a repeatable processes.

The "before" pic was after the second pro chemical dip. "After" pic is what they look like now.[/QUOTE

What is the process and chemicals?

This stuff works great, it’s just hard to find in most auto parts stores. Spray it on and scrub with a small wire brush. They come great.

I did this on a couple sets. On the cheap with elbow grease.

I thoroughly rinsed them CLEAN and taped off the valleys - one set was painted Duplicolor sparkle silver wheel paint and the other was done in black in the old GN style ( used metal primer on both first). I then polished the tops of the fins & rings after tape removal. The looked great - all I had to do was keep them clean on regular basis and use Speedy on the bare polished met al areas. I eventually sold both sets to happy buyers.

Note: Mine looked like Jeryll's second pic before paint & polish.

The "before" pic was after the second pro chemical dip. "After" pic is what they look like now.
How may I ask did you get them so clean ?

Back