You can type here any text you want

Cleaning a gas tank

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I little of both. Apple cider vinegar works the best

Attachments

• 1418584802988.jpg
    1418584802988.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 101
I seem to recall many years ago (mid 1970's) rinsing my motorcycles rusty tank out with Muriatic Acid.
Just be aware that it etches the inside & will strip it so it will rust without coating the inside afterwards.
I used a liquid epoxy product that was poured into the tank sloshed around, upside down etc which covered the inside with a thin coating / lining to seal it. Not sure of the product name or if it's still available, but would think that there is an automotive equivalent available.

Purple Power is a strong detergent that would remove all that gunk. It will take the hide off your hands too. Let it soak in there (you cut it with water, directions on the jug) and then rinse out with a hose. Put a shopvac in it afterward and blow it dry. Obviously a detergent is biodegradible so you can pour out the residue without much fuss.

I think i would just buy a new tank. It's a good investment and after all you will probably never have to do it again.

I bought a new fuel tank back in 2001. And i'm sure it will still be good when i'm long gone.

So the apple cider vinegar did a great job. A hell of a lot better than before.

Attachments

• 1418791141765.jpg
    1418791141765.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 1418791201877.jpg
    1418791201877.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 69
Phosphoric acid works very well also in much less time. The higher the concentration the faster it works

BPE2013@hotmail.com

So the apple cider vinegar did a great job. A hell of a lot better than before.

Looks good. On a motorcycle tank I used the The Works toilet bowl cleaner(its 20% hydrogen chloride) and a small piece of chain. Made it look practically new.

I'll keep the apple cider vinegar in mind next time.

Don't use muriatic acid. It's diluted HCL. Since the 'C' is chlorine, it will soak into the microscopic cracks and pores of the metal and start the rusting process over until the end of time.

Back