cleaning intercooler????

psycho6cyl

Ponies Are For Lil Girls
i will be installing a new turbo old one went kapooouts. i was getting oil n the throttle body etc and i can only imagine th ic. what products are good to clean it? soap water? any help appre ciated. thanks -Jeff

Gas works real good, and paint thinner. Anything that will thin the oil & evaperate good when you blow air threw it. Just be sure to blow it out real good & dry after cleaning.

Jess

I hear gas or soap n water and a good shaking is good... others may chime in!

I used carb cleaner. Worked really well. And yes Make sure you blow out your intercooler. Use a compressor or a back pack blower

With intercooler out of the car spray an entire can of carb cleaner in it, slosh it around real good, empty. Then tape a shop rag of some sort on one side (as a kinda filter) and attach the ol'shop vac to the other side and let it run for @ 10 miniutes. Thats how I did mine worked great! Good Luck Jon Hanson

jhanson1750 said:
With intercooler out of the car spray an entire can of carb cleaner in it, slosh it around real good, empty. Then tape a shop rag of some sort on one side (as a kinda filter) and attach the ol'shop vac to the other side and let it run for @ 10 miniutes. Thats how I did mine worked great! Good Luck Jon Hanson
In am extremely unlikely situations that might lead the vac motor to go boom when all that vapor hits it. I always blow mine out real good with a back pack blower.

Some intercoolers have the tanks held on with epoxy, so you don't want to put gasoline or carb cleaner in those. I think filling with hot water and Dawn and letting it soak is the way to go, then rinse well. I'm also not really concerned with getting all the little droplets of water out before it goes back on the car. Just pour it out, put it on and go for a drive. Make a little boost for a few seconds, say 2-4 psi, to get it warmed up, then drive some, then make all the boost you want to dry it out. Assuming your MAF is before the turbo and not after the intercooler the water really can't hurt anything - it will be less than what is injected with alcohol or water injection under boost.