Cleaning Roller lifters.

Dwayne

Narrow A$$ Racing
I have access to an ulta-sonic cleaning machine. Would this be a good idea or should I just soak 'em in clean lacquer thinner ?

I soaked mine in mineral spirits first, Those rollers have alot grease film on them. Then i worked the plunger with a push rod by hand so to loosen up the machining debris inside the lifter body. Alot came out after working them. Then i sonic cleaned them in a plastic container on top off my air compressor. Each pair of lifters were done placed so they didn't touch when being cleaned. Those lifters have alot of debris in them from machining.

im assuming we are talking about the comp roller lifters?...im just getting into my set now ...how far should the plunger go down ...most of mine seem rock hard and a few of them move about 1/4 to 1/2 inch...is that how they are checked?...do i just soak them in parts solvent or mineral spirits for a couple days ...thanks for info.

I'm going to put them in the cleaner a pair at a time and see what happens. I'll let you know if I get any trash out of them.

well most of mine were stiff not much plunging action ...but mike at full throttle is saying comp started cleaning them out two years ago and if they smell like cleaner they should already be done...again my plungers most of them dont move at all...so i took the snap ring off one then moved it back and forth put the ring back on and the lifter apparently started to urinate on me...clear oily liquid out from the center of the plunger...guess its the lube they put in it...so do i take all of these apart and soak them in mineral spirit or parts cleaner...which one is better???...or do i just soak them as is...how much play are they supposed to have?...if any???...how long do i soak them and after soaking do i then put them in what kind of oil???...

i also read somewhere that someone would prime and break in their engine with the valve cover and intake manifold off so they could see the lifters working and also if they werent or plugged ...so as to catch any problems before causing any major damage...does that sound right or whats the best procedure after engine assembly...thanks for info...noah.

I did remove the snap rings but the lifter cann't fully be taken apart. The Bar prevents that from happening. I soaked mine for about 15 min. while being sonic cleaned. I took and set them upside down to let the solvent seep out. I used compressed air to make sure all mineral spirits was removed. I placed my lifters standing upright with oil covering overnite. They soaked up alot of oil.. I was a messy job but thats how it goes.

After some searchin' the net I came up with a combination of 2 capfulls of Simple Green with 1 gallon of water in the sonic cleaner. Worked great.