You can type here any text you want

Close race w/Stang

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

toddmingnworld

Undead1
Guys,

Just out tonight cruising around not really looking for a race but will accept whatever comes my way within reason...I pull up on a heavily modified late model Cobra R (From what the Driver side it was?) and he revved at me and he asked if I wanted to go and I give the smile that I'm game..We slow to about a 20 mph roll and take off...I can see his car lunge ahead as he is shifting through gears he almost immediately pulls 1 car ahead but as the GN accelerates I make up the full 1 car length and we are now side by side when he begins to pull away again as we both reach about 70 mph...We both shut down about the same time because of traffic....At that point my front bumper was at his rear wheel...

After the race, he asked what my car runs....At said in full street trim Mid to a Low 12's at best. He said he runs low 11's consistently in his car...It certainly looked and sounded like it to me...My car pulls really good however I was surprised to have stayed with him..I think either he's lying about his times or my car is quite faster than I think..Need to get this damn car to the track....By the way I was running 94 Oct w/18 psi's on Stock Turbo...I wonder though if the outcome would have been different from a dead stop??

Todd

390 HP? new cobras are more that that and they only pull around mid 12's i believe. the Cobra R's gotta have more than that to pull a low 11.

toddmingnworld, sounds like its time for a bigger turbo and more boost;)

EH HEEEM

corection: new cobras run 12's AT 113 MPH. 113 is high 11's MPH ing. its those rubber band tires and that dam IRS!

Race him from a stop next time, you would have got him. I took a ride in a 12.2 mustang a few weeks back that had every engine mod (cam, heads, intake, headers) and a supercharger. It trapped something like 116, so they are slow off the line. It really puts our cars in perspective with stock engine and turbo cars running these times.

I know there are exceptions, but cruising around on the mustang board to see their times, they are slow off the line. I would say on average their modded cars are high 13/low 14 and our cars are a second faster than this at least. That new supercharged mustang will be fast with a good driver.

The only 'late model' Cobra R's are as follows:

93. A bit over 100 made. Same motor as the regular 93 Cobra (rated at 235 HP), just suspension upgrades. All are red. Very, very, very rare.

93 Cobra

95. About 300 made, don't know for sure. New SN95 bodystyle. 351W (rated at 300 HP), good for low 13's to high 12's @ ~107 mph in stock trim. All of them are white. Also very, very rare.

95 Cobra

00. A bit over 300 made. Have a 5.4L DOHC motor (rated at 385 HP), capable of mid-high 12's @ ~110 mph in stock form. All are red and have a rather large rear wing. As with the others, they are also very rare.

00 Cobra

It is quite likely the guy was giving you a bunch of BS about having an 'R' at all.

turbo buicks,

I don't think it was a 03 Cobra....This one was white with a loud ass exhaust and one of those huge scooped hoods..Personally I don't think his car was a low 11 sec machine because if it was he would have just wasted my GN and more than by just 1 car length.....Actually right now I am saving my $$$ for my TE-44 & V-4 Intercooler & BFG DR's..

tim87tr,

I started to ask him for a stop light race but didnt..After the race he had this bewildered look on his face when I said my car should be in the mid 12 range..:eek: and now that I think about it my friend in the car with me said my boost gauge released after I hit 15 psi's because we did have to shut it down because another car was in my line as I approached 70 mph..Hmmm...Though I never got a chance to stop and chat with the guys about their mods. These snake guys were pretty cool....Gave me a thumbs up and said nice car..What are popular mustang boards?..I wanna see if I can track them down...

Bob,

This snake was white and was well decked out inside and out, to me I thought it was just a modded late model Cobra..I dunno.

Todd

I don't know either. A couple of other things about the 'R'...it would not have had a back seat, nor would it have had a radio (unless he put one in after-the-fact).

Back