Code 22???

carhell

Not real familiar with these cars, but I have installed a new engine, converter, and transmission in my GN. My question is why I keep getting a code 22 (TPS). I set it with a meter @ .43 and shortly after starting the check engine light comes on and Scanmaster shows code 22 and a TPS setting of 0. Maybe a simple fix, but this is my first tuning experiance with the V6. Thanks, Shawn

why dont you try setting it with the scanmaster??
Because I am a total rookie at tuning these cars and if you would tell me how to do it with the Scanmaster I would really appreciate it. This may be a dumb question to you, but I will be the first to admit that I am not familiar with these cars.

note the TPS reading with the engine off, then start it and make a mental note of how much it goes up. That'll help you set it for actual running conditions.

It sounds like you might have a bad TPS or an intermittent 5V signal going to it. I don't think a TPS will read 0V no matter what. (I haven't verified that BTW)

How good are you with a DVM?

key on set scanmaster to TPS mode

adjust tps until you get to around .42 on scanmaster..and if anyone wants to post it has to be anywhere else like .44 or .46 please start your own thread .. .. .42 is just fine and wont change a thing moving it up to .44 or .46

if you cant get it there ,
check the tps plug connector (pins and wiring for damage ),
key on unplugged verify 5v at gray wire , ground at black wire ,
you can verify the signal wire (dk blue )to pin c13 at ecm using an ohm meter between the two with ecm connector unplugged

if wiring is good ,and you have 5 v then you may have a bad TPS
btw they dont like getting wet so cover them before hosing under the hood

Attachments

• ecmwiring1.jpg
    ecmwiring1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 72
key on set scanmaster to TPS mode

adjust tps until you get to around .42 on scanmaster..and if anyone wants to post it has to be anywhere else like .44 or .46 please start your own thread .. .. .42 is just fine and wont change a thing moving it up to .44 or .46

if you cant get it there ,
check the tps plug connector (pins and wiring for damage ),
key on unplugged verify 5v at gray wire , ground at black wire ,
you can verify the signal wire (dk blue )to pin c13 at ecm using an ohm meter between the two with ecm connector unplugged

if wiring is good ,and you have 5 v then you may have a bad TPS
btw they dont like getting wet so cover them before hosing under the hood

Ill try again tonight and post my results later. I replaced every sensor when I did the engine last month. All are new GM sensors, but I may have got a bad TPS. I have been doing this by myself and the Scanmaster is mounted so I was setting the TPS with my volt meter. I get it set and start the car with no code and the it sets the code 22 shortly after starting. I will get back at it again in a few minutes. Thanks for the responses guys.

Ill try again tonight and post my results later. I replaced every sensor when I did the engine last month. All are new GM sensors, but I may have got a bad TPS. I have been doing this by myself and the Scanmaster is mounted so I was setting the TPS with my volt meter. I get it set and start the car with no code and the it sets the code 22 shortly after starting. I will get back at it again in a few minutes. Thanks for the responses guys.

I found a helper and got the TPS set @.44 and no light. Now to learn more on tuning. Thanks for the help guys, Shawn