You can type here any text you want

Coil pack decals. Help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOKA72

Hey guys. Can you tell me what you know about the coil pack decals for an 87 GN. Mine was built in late NOV. is the one on the side date coded in any way. Or if I order kirban's decal it doesn't matter what number is on it? also the top decal which is a date. Can I get one anywhere and what date would I look for. Does it coincide with the build of the car somehow? Is there any decals on the bottom of it? Thanks again. Vinny

Number on the decal doesn't matter. The date code on the ign. coil is usually a week or two before the build date of the car which can be found on the build sheets.

There were 3 versions of the coilpak sticker for the 86-87 turbo buicks.

In the pic below...
early build 86 TB's (August 1985 to early 1986(?)) used the square shaped sticker.
later build 86 TB's used the white rectangular sticker that Kirban's sells.
87 TB's used a similar white rectangular sticker but had the text "No" before the number.

P1020828.JPG

Kirban's is the only vendor to have any of these original labels. The sequential numbered stickers in my pic are from Kirban's. Aside from anyone reading this and/or remembering this info, I doubt there would be very many folks to tell you that a coilpak sticker from Kirban's without the "No" text is not correct for an extended production run GN built in Nov '87. Today, the absence of a coilpak sticker would be more noticeable. For $3, it is a pretty good find.

When I was researching sequential build numbers for 86-87 TB's for correct window stickers, I gathered build data for a few hundred cars. While I don't have exact data for a late Nov build, I have some info for you.

A hardtop GN build about September 28, 1987 (last six of VIN = 458407) had coilpak sticker number 57475.
A hardtop GN built a few days later (VIN ending 459140) had coilpak sticker number 54766.
My GN was built Sep 11 and has coilpak sticker 39341.

coilpak date code sticker....
there was a guy who supported this community making these and other stickers. I helped him get the size, font and other details correct for these date code stickers. Then, about 10 years ago, there was a huge pissing contest brought about by one vendor who protested the sale of non-GM licensed products. As a result, things got messy and this person had to stop making stickers. If you can wait, I'll try to contact him to ask. No one else made a date code sticker let alone one with a specifically requested date.

In the meantime, why not get a couple of stickers from Kirban's. Good to have a spare or two. When he eventually sells out, there are no more originals.

Attachments

• P1020830.JPG
    P1020830.JPG
    736.3 KB · Views: 122
There were 3 versions of the coilpak sticker for the 86-87 turbo buicks.

In the pic below...
early build 86 TB's (August 1985 to early 1986(?)) used the square shaped sticker.
later build 86 TB's used the white rectangular sticker that Kirban's sells.
87 TB's used a similar white rectangular sticker but had the text "No" before the number.

View attachment 304336

Kirban's is the only vendor to have any of these original labels. The sequential numbered stickers in my pic are from Kirban's. Aside from anyone reading this and/or remembering this info, I doubt there would be very many folks to tell you that a coilpak sticker from Kirban's without the "No" text is not correct for an extended production run GN built in Nov '87. Today, the absence of a coilpak sticker would be more noticeable. For $3, it is a pretty good find.

When I was researching sequential build numbers for 86-87 TB's for correct window stickers, I gathered build data for a few hundred cars. While I don't have exact data for a late Nov build, I have some info for you.

A hardtop GN build about September 28, 1987 (last six of VIN = 458407) had coilpak sticker number 57475.
A hardtop GN built a few days later (VIN ending 459140) had coilpak sticker number 54766.
My GN was built Sep 11 and has coilpak sticker 39341.

coilpak date code sticker....
there was a guy who supported this community making these and other stickers. I helped him get the size, font and other details correct for these date code stickers. Then, about 10 years ago, there was a huge pissing contest brought about by one vendor who protested the sale of non-GM licensed products. As a result, things got messy and this person had to stop making stickers. If you can wait, I'll try to contact him to ask. No one else made a date code sticker let alone one with a specifically requested date.

In the meantime, why not get a couple of stickers from Kirban's. Good to have a spare or two. When he eventually sells out, there are no more originals.

Damn I'm getting OLD... But this is good stuff ..

You forgot this decal...it was also on some 86 TRs according to Kirbans book. I have seen the 87 decal on 86s though on low mileage original cars so this isn't always the case 100% of time as to which decals belonged on what years. You can get the date code decal made as I have done it. Just get a hold of an original and take it to any good computer graphics place, they can replicate it spot on and put in any dates you want.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you guys. Anthony I have time. Please let me know if you contact him. VINNY

Vinny, I found his contact info and will reach out to him this weekend.

to make this a thorough thread, I wanted to find Kirban's InnerCircle where he discussed coilpak stickers. I thought it was more recent but it was actually the July 11, 2012 issue. http://www.kirbanperformance.com/inner_circle.php?nak=195

He mentions the square Buick hawk sticker for '86 noted above - that he had some back in the day. He also shows pics of the original coilpak sticker and date sticker on his '87 white Turbo-T.....2/19/87 and the coilpak sticker was just the six digits like the later '86 coilpak stickers. So, right now I'm not sure when the text "No" was added. Perhaps that was just for the extended production run units. I'd have to look back through what records I have and I can't make time for that now.

Back