You can type here any text you want

Compatibility of Extender chip "W" - Fast Update Datastream

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tom h

I'm still a bit confused about the compatibility of the Extender chip "W" series "fast data stream".

What I can research indicates:

-- W chip is compatible with Scanmaster 2.1
-- W chip is compatible with TurboLink 4
-- according to http://www.geocities.com/rad87gn/tech/smdatadef.html , "W" chip will not ouput malfunction codes to the Scanmster 2.1.
-- I could still access the malfunction codes by shorting A & B pins on the ALDL connector, and counting flashes on the "Check Engine Light".

Is this a correct summary?

Other than the minor inconvenience of no code display on the Scanmaster 2.1, Is there any other downside to having a fast update "W" extender chip ?

TIA.

Fast update on Tlink 4.0

I believe you have it correctly on all counts.

Don't know of any downsides other than the Malf code deletion in the chip. I have found the faster rate useful.

The question comes to mind whether or not Bob Bailey would program the extender to report Malf codes every ECM cycle INSTEAD of Prom ID.

I can tell Turbolink that I'm using the scanmaster 2.1 data series, MAF and Extender by using the "special Hardware" menu....Must the Extender report "SM 2.1" in every frame to interface with Turbolink? I've thought about asking Bob to reprogram my Extender to report Malf codes instead of the prom ID. There may be a whole ton of things that could enter in here....I don't have a clue what they may be :) If Bob would make such a change, would Tlink software need to be changed to show Malf codes?

Any thoughts?

Back