You can type here any text you want

components for new T/A block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Larry

looking to run mid 9's when this block arrives- Mike T. Tells me mid March?? Can I have some help on selecting :
a specific mid plt that bolts up w/o alot of hassel?
A shield for a 400 ?
A proven harmonic balancer?
Do I remove my exsisting crank sensor rotating ring and reuse?
Thanks Larry:confused:

Larry,

I don't run a turbo 400 or a mid-plate but I can chime in on the balancer question. I run a BHJ balancer which is SFI approved and has the trigger ring for the crank sensor already on it. It wasn't cheap but seems like the best option.

Neal

???'s

The mid plate is not a bolt in deal. They are made in rough form and you have to trim and mount to the frame.
Using the mid plate also requires different drive lugs on the converter.
The best shield I've ever seen is the CSI composite. It is both a trans shield and a flywheel shield. Weighs about 4#! Mine fit PERFECTLY!! NOT CHEAP!!:eek:

I agree w/ the other folks on the BHJ balancer...Don't forget the flywheel has to be SFI too!!;)

In addition to what Chuck said, don't forget when you order your converter to have it built for what ever thickness mid plate you will be using (yes it effects the build height). As for why a shield is prefered over a blanket, the blanket holds a lot more heat in during the run. This will effect the life of the trans. Another point to think about, down pipe clearence will be an issue with a mid plate depending on what you going to run in that reguards. If you haven't sorted out the mid plate yet I think I have one here that I had made up for my twin car. Dave

Thanks to Dave Wicks for the following tip:

TCI makes a mid plate that also doubles as a flywheel shield. The shield fits inside the bellhousing so you don't have clearance problems in the trans tunnel. It is only 1/8" so it should work without converter modification. You will still need a trans shield (blanket/composite shield/whatever). It is sold for Chevy patterns but only the top two holes need to be drilled to convert it to BOP.

It's sort of hard to find but here's a link to Jeg's:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2155&prmenbr=361

I am planning to use one of these but haven't bought it yet.

NOT!!!

At the expense of repeating some items already mentioned:
1. The CSI shield is 4# and a blanket is many times that weight!
2. The Shield does not soak up oil, the blanket does.
3. The Shield fits the exact contour of the trans case and is now made for the BOP pattern.
4. The CSI fits under the stock floor w/ room to spare and does not present a problem when putting the trans in.
5. The CSI is also certified as a flywheel shield.. a blanket is not.
6. The CSI does not interfere w/ the dipstick, cooler lines, shifter cable or trans brake.. The blanket does.

Pick what you like!!:D :D

Dam Chuck do you have to bring up all this relevant stuff just when I thought I might get off easy for once. Looks like I will have to look into the shield.I still have a few more problems to solve before the shield becomes paramount.

Thanks

REG

On a street car run the shield - cooling is an issue.

If you really grenade a trans at the track, I like the idea of the blanket keeping as many of the pieces in one place rather than running over them.

For the bellhousing shield, a JW Ultrabell fits nicely in the stock tunnel.

Back