You can type here any text you want

Computer chip question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo_Shae

Please advice on the following technical matter:

I have an 87 GN that is emitting white smoke from the exhaust. At first I thought I had an engine problem because the smoke had a burnt oil smell to it. But, I inspected the Inter-cooler as recommended previously and found that there was an oil build ing up in the area...but once that problem was solved I started smelling the fuel. The fuel pressure at idle is reading 37 lbs. At open throttle the reading is 60 lbs. The chip used to signal the fueling system can be described as black in color and has a red dot on its center. I believe 40# fuel injectors were installed in the vehicle. The following numbers are displayed on the fuel injectors 5208008-0363. I believe the manufacturer of the injectors were Kenny Ball. The GN has an after market "high performance" fuel pump of some type located on the frame forward of the right rear. The pump makes an usually loud buzzing sound when car is driven. I have replaced the O2 sensor with an AC Delco. I was told that I may need a new computer chip. Can anyone recommend the correct chip or recommend an expert that help me find the correct chip? Any help on this matter would be would be greatly appreciated.

I can't decipher your injector #'s but....
White smoke with or without the raw fuel smell almost always indicates an internal engine coolant leak... :(
Headgasket or intake leak are the prime suspects.

Let's hope it's something simple!

HTH - Jimmy

Thanks for your response. Yes we have checked all those areas and ruled those out. We have been told that our injectors at 40 lbs. maybe too large. With all those things being ruled out we are focusing on the turbo charger. Two people who have experienced (white smoke) believe the seal in the turbo maybe to blame.....therefore we may need another charger...lets hope thats the porblem...because the turbo is still under warranty.
Again thanks.:cool:

Originally posted by Turbo_Shae
Thanks for your response. Yes we have checked all those areas and ruled those out. We have been told that our injectors at 40 lbs. maybe too large. With all those things being ruled out we are focusing on the turbo charger. Two people who have experienced (white smoke) believe the seal in the turbo maybe to blame.....therefore we may need another charger...lets hope thats the porblem...because the turbo is still under warranty.
Again thanks.:cool:

The injector ID's that you reflected are Lucas 38-40#, not sure if they may have changed the color code. These injectors were commonly called 40# Red Stripes.

The chip you describe may have been supplied by Kenne-Bell, he usally uses the Red Dot on top of the chip, but also lables the chip underside......i.e. 9006-40. I believe the 9006 designates that it is his Ultimate chip for Street use, and the -40 indicates the injector size.

Check the underside of the chip to see if it matches the injectors installed. If it does not have -40, it may be for stock type injectors, and hence the rich condition you describe.

Hope this helps,

Joe
PT&E
joe@precisionturbo.net
219-996-7832

Back