You can type here any text you want

Computer Help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ChrisCairns

I've been having computer problems (what's new) and my bud now has it running again after reloading windows.

I've had to reload all my programs, including my favorite "Microsoft Streets and Trips." It loads onto the computer OK but once I try to run it an error message comes up. It says,

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down".

I hit the OK tab and another error message comes up that says,

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer."

What does this mean and what can I do about it?? I asked my bud and he says he didn't put any type of restriction on it.

Thanks.

1. What version of Windows are you running?

2. Did you format your harddrive when you reinstalled windows?

Originally posted by 3mta3
1. What version of Windows are you running?

2. Did you format your harddrive when you reinstalled windows?

Windows 98SE.

The last time I had trouble he formatted it.....this time he just reinstalled Windows over top of the old copy.

(Ah, says Chris, as the light bulb very slowly comes to life.)

Chris, from what I have been told , if you are running Netscape Navigator with any version of 98, it will screw up almost everything in conflicts. It does run compatible with Internet Explorer though. But if you continue to have problems it may also be a basic conflict between the game program and 98 period. I know very little about how these things functions, but I have heard from those that know that may be your main trouble. Good luck. I'm sure we have some very savy computer people here that will give you much better guidence. Mark:D

You really shouldnt install a copy over itself. What you should try is deleting windows first and then reinstalling it. This solves the problems 80% of the time. I would try this before doing a total reformat.

Back