coolant hose sealant

wb's87

willrock
I know this is probably a stupid question, But here goes. Does any one use any type of sealer on there rubber coolant hose connections? I retired from GM powertrain and I remember watching the guys on the assembly line. They used a lubricant/sealer when installing rubber lines. The hose would slide right on with little effort and within a short amount of time it would be sealed and very hard to remove. I am in the process of replacing all my rubber hoses and was hoping to use something other than just the clamp to insure I don't end up with any leaks. Any ideas?

If you need sealant, something's wrong. I guess if you just want the hose to slide on easier, blast the fitting with brake parts cleaner. It'll work as a lube and there might be a little bit of vulcanizing going on when it dries.

That's how I install motorcycle grips.

You really shouldnt need any sealant to seal coolant hoses, clamps will do just fine. If you must lube them try silicone or lithium grease, I would stay away from brake cleaner as it tends to dry out rubber fairly quickly.

I use spit!! Only for those tight fits!! Oh wait aren't we talking about coolant lines??

Purell clear hand purifier works as a lube, whipped alky.

Dries realtively quickly too.

They glue themselves to the metal lines or heater core nipples quick enough, usually you have to cut them off as they vulcanize themselves on there.

Purell clear hand purifier works as a lube, whipped alky.

Dries realtively quickly too.

They glue themselves to the metal lines or heater core nipples quick enough, usually you have to cut them off as they vulcanize themselves on there.

This was a great tip! I never would have thought about using the hand sanitizer. Hoses slide right on easily. Seals great. Thanks for this great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk