Coolant sensor question

Turbo F-bird

I have a code 14 (coolant sensor high) and my Scanmaster reads 304 all the time with the car running. If I unplug the coolant sensor the Scanmaster reads -39 so I'm thinking my new coolant sensor is NG. The harness is a new Casper's one (this is a hybrid swap into a G body Cutlass wagon) so does my thinking sound accurate? Swap out the coolant sensor and live happily ever after? :confused:

Coolant Sensor

It controls fueling parameters to the ECM. Does the car run rich/lean?

Mitch

On the road the Scan master showed BL and Int around 128 as I recall but I wasn't studying it too closely to be honest. The O2 was crossing over pretty normally when ever I checked it. It doesn't start well when its cold which I thought might be related to the coolant sensor also.

this can be caused by 2 items.

You have a bad sensor which is easy to etermine.

Use an ohm meter and check the resistance of the 2 pins in the sensor. Compare that to another one.

You should also check the voltage being fed tot he sensor.

Answer these 2 questions and we can move on.

I'll check it when I get home tonight. I don't think I have another sensor to compare it to right now but I have a new one coming from GM this week.

I bought a new sensor at Napa on the way home so I had something to compare. I have 5 volts to the sensor and resistance across the installed one is the same as if I leave the leads of my meter apart from each other.

Resistance across the new one is like .6 which is the same as if I touch the leads together. If I plug the new one in the Scanmaster reads 71 degrees so I'm pretty convinced the installed sensor is defective.

Coolant Bottle Connection

Don't mean to high jack your thread, but I just went to the bone yard and picked up a good coolant bottle with the low coolant sensor, but I have no idea how to hook it up. I don't have the low coolant option on my GN so if I hook it up will I have to put a light somewhere in the dash?

Any help will be appreciated.

Roger