You can type here any text you want

could this be a 4.1?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

geeforcem

Tried asking this in Junkyard section but got no response... so i'll try here.

Went to the local pick-a-parts on sunday. Came across an'83 4dr. Century w/ a V6. It had a factory q-jet on it. The fan shroud is long gone and so is the i.d. tag. I was wondering if you could order a 3.8 w/ a O-jet. all others in the lot were dual-jets. I'm thinking that this may be a 4.1. If it is I plan to grab it. are there any other markings on the block itself. I would have looked but it was pretty muddy. It's been raining a bunch here in Houston. And I had just stopped by to browse. wasnt prepared to get too dirty that day. Thanks for any info you may have.

There's a 78 sport coupe down the street from me that needs a new home. May look good next to my 2 '85 T-types. Not that I really need more projects.

Jeff

Then check the 8th digit of the VIN. 3.8 2-barrels are always "A". 4.1's are "4". (Easy to remember 4 = 4.1 :) )

Should'nt it say 4.1 at the rear of the block by the tranny bellhousing flange like the 3.8's?

Yeah, it should. But sometimes that's hard to see in the junkyard. If it's a factory four barrel, it's most likely a 4.1. I doubt many people would change a 4-door from a 2-barrel to 4. But before pulling it, I guess would crawl under and look for the "4.1" and the casting number (gnttype has a list of these).

Thanks for all the info... if it stops raining long enough, I'll go back and check.

Jeff

Back