Crank and Block

Yes, it will.

Right now looking just at Sunday. I didn't get a chance to register yet (I didn't think I would be ready). I guess I can do it there at the gate.

It's been 5 years I have been to Norwalk and the timing has been off. Every year I say to myself "I'm going to run next year".

I'm going to shoot for the quick 16. If I get bumped, at least I can run in bracket 1.

Originally posted by Intercooler
Was this for me?:confused: Well if it was, the NA crank was "the only" thing I could find at the time, period! The .010"/.030" was in my old motor when I bought the car. Like I said, no problems with any of them! There is no gurantee that a std./std., .010"/.010" or any combo will be a cut above any of the other combos. If you run it properly and it has been checked I don't think it matters one way or the other. The NA crank is definately not my choice but if that was the only thing I had to run I probably would and hope for the best but I was only talking a 12.8 car anyways. As far as not buying the better piece, where is your forged unit? That would make a much better "race" piece-eeeeh? Racing is racing and you takes your chances!;)

Talking about the choice of a NA or a turbo crank for just a couple hundred bucks. Not directed toward you, more toward the subject in general.

In talking about forged pieces, forged cranks don't belong in stock blocks when the production piece can handle the limitations of the block in general.

Originally posted by Scott231

Yes, that is the primary benefit of a girdle (secondary benefit is to strengthen the block itself). A girdle can be installed with stock main caps, that are in good condition and will be almost as strong as the same setup with steel caps.

I went to the steels because 2 of my 3 front main caps were horseshoe-shaped.

Thanks Scott,
I'll get a turbo crank evevtually, but I have the NA in now, so that is the one that I will abuse first.

Brian

NA crank

Try Nitriding the naturally aspirated. It is a surface hardening method .004 to .010 thick. I have a source $150.00 1 week turn around if recieved on a monday.

Nitriding really won't make the crank that much stronger...It is just a wear resistant coating and will protect the journals from wear...

edit
Now one thing that might help if you want to spend the extra money on a NA crank, is to have it cryogenically treated...THAT might help strengthen the crank more than nitriding it would...