You can type here any text you want

cranking rpm

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

vr6t

hey everyone,
I have a question. while my engine is cranking over, it is reading 4000 rpm on the dashboard, the car hasn't run yet, it is not sparking for some reason, just wondering if this is normal? Also I'm wondering if anyone has any idea why I am not getting any spark. I have an MSD 6a with with white wire to the white wire of the FAST. When I ground the white wire to the msd the box sparks so I know that it is working.

thanks for any help,
James

When cranking, the engine rpm should reflect actual rpm. Around 400 or so. depending on your timing and your starter strength.

55Belair,
Thats what I thought. I wonder why mine is reading 4000rpm? It is dumping loads of fuel into the engine (assuming the engine is at 4000 rpm). Any ideas why its reading 4000rpm? I am using an inductive pickup crank trigger (60 Tooth reluctor), and I've set the FAST to 6 cylinders (not sure if that matters). If I divide the 4000 rpm by 6 cylinders, that is about 650rpm which is probably pretty close to its cranking speed. I wouldn't think that I have to put the number of cylinders to 1 for my crank trigger?

You may try that. If it works for now, great. I do not have much experience with crank triggers. I am using a MSD billet distributor as my crank signal.
What is your crank reference in your set up?

I thought for argument sake, I'd see what happened if I changed the number of cylinders. It will only allow 2,4,6, or 8 cylinder values to be entered. If I put 2 cylinder, then number reads 3 times as high.(12,000 rpm on cranking), So I'd need to have a 36 cylinder for the trigger to read correctly :) I don't know why this is happening. I'll call fast in the morning and see what they say. I don't think its my sensor, or anything else on my end but I could be wrong. I just hope I don't have to send the ECU back again !!!!!

ps. I have my crank reference at 50 degrees which is exactly where I put my reluctor spacing on the crank.

Craig or Lance will be able to help. Those guys are great.
Sorry I couldn't offer more insight.

55Belair,
what is the number to reach craig, or lance? I heard there is 3 different FAST locations.
The number I've been calling is 1-662-224-3495, is this the number they can be reached at?

Sorry I haven't been around here much. Been very busy at work and at home.

The 60 tooth wheel is your problem. You need one with 3 teeth for a V application, unless the wheel is feeding a separate ignition module that requires the 60X input.

BTW, typical cranking RPM is about 150.

craig,
thanks, thats the answer I've been waiting for. I actually just got that same answer finally from the other FAST guys 2 days ago. I have my new msd 3 magnet wheel, and just have to find a way to fabricate it, then I'm sure it will FINALLY be ready to start :)
Thanks for the help guys.

Back