You can type here any text you want

crossmembers for 200r4 on other gbody vehicles

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnbooster87

its only a six
came across a problem when installing my tranny today the stock cross member from my 83 cutlass wagon did not line up with the center portion of the 200r4 tranny it sits farther in than it has to and i tried a crossmember from a 87 GN and it did not line up with the bolts for the chassy since the stock member is not aligned straight across like the GNs, so my question is are there any other vehicles that i might be able to get a cross member from that will bolt right up with out fabrication?? elco,monte carlo, etc???

I'm In The Same Position Like You Right Now On My 83 Buick Regal N/a So You Find Anything Out Please Keep Me Inform. I Know It Can Be Done Seen Many Regals With V8 And Different Trans.

I'm doing a g body hybrid as well (81 el camino) and I've discovered that beginning in 84 there was a second crossmember mounting point added further towards the rear. I cannot speak with any knowledge of the crossmember itself since I used the one out of the door car, but it did not fit until I used an adapter from these guys http://crossmembers.com/g-body.htm. It's the FE100. After that, no problem.

cool thanks for the homework i will be calling them up. I can of figured pre to 83 cross member mounts are different then 84 down g body comparing from my GN frame.

wow to rich for my blood if i cant find a junk yard part that will cure this then ill just take the car to a custom shop and have them chop up the cross member and make it work

cross member

wow to rich for my blood if i cant find a junk yard part that will cure this then ill just take the car to a custom shop and have them chop up the cross member and make it work

let me know what you end up doing this is the only thing i got left to do.

Huh thats wierd cause I have an 80 malibu wagon and I am pretty sure the the stock GN crossmember is in mine and fits fine... I'll have to take a closer look to see if there was any mods done to get it in there.

As I said, I have the stock GN crossmember too, it's just that the 81 attatchment point is 14" or so too far forward. $50 is too rich? Anything related to GN is expensive. I don't have any junkyard stuff on my car.

As I said, I have the stock GN crossmember too, it's just that the 81 attatchment point is 14" or so too far forward. $50 is too rich? Anything related to GN is expensive. I don't have any junkyard stuff on my car.

i was referring to those aftermarket crossmembers

Sorry, my bad. If I was running a V8 with dual exhaust it might be an option. I would think you could tuck the pipes up pretty tight. I was only referring to the adapter.

Sorry, my bad. If I was running a V8 with dual exhaust it might be an option. I would think you could tuck the pipes up pretty tight. I was only referring to the adapter.

ima head over to the custom shop tomorrow to get a price, if it comes close to what the aftermarket cross members sell for then ill just buy a new one and install it myself....ill keep you guys posted

I'm not sure I've made myself clear. It takes BOTH a 200r4/TH400 crossmember AND the FE100 to retrofit the trans into a pre 84 G body. The crossmembers for sale at that site are primarily aimed at a dual exhaust systems, not a turbo motor with a single downpipe (although it should work if you don't mind spending the money).

I'm not sure I've made myself clear. It takes BOTH a 200r4/TH400 crossmember AND the FE100 to retrofit the trans into a pre 84 G body. The crossmembers for sale at that site are primarily aimed at a dual exhaust systems, not a turbo motor with a single downpipe (although it should work if you don't mind spending the money).

It takes BOTH a 200r4/TH400 crossmember AND the FE100 to retrofit the trans into a pre 84 G body.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

YOU GOT ME ON THIS ONE.

It takes BOTH a 200r4/TH400 crossmember AND the FE100 to retrofit the trans into a pre 84 G body.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

YOU GOT ME ON THIS ONE.

All that is needed to bolt in a stock 84-87 GN cross member in a G body is FE100 Frame Extension. It makes the stock GN cross member a bolt in, in a 78-83 G Body. A cheap quick fix, that bolts in. No welding or fabricating needed.

It's not that hard guys. Get the correct crossmember (GN) and the FE100, and you are good to go. One end of the adapter bolts in place of the original crossmember, the GN one bolts to that, and when everything is fastened down you drill 2 holes in the frame and install the bolts thru the frame and you are done. Easy peasy.

im not taking my chances by ordering some stuff only, found a chassy guy that door custom roll cages and said he would take care of me steenchassis.com

Back