You can type here any text you want

cylinderheads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

78trbolesbr

Does anyone know if 84-85 headers will bolt onto 78 heads? I think i read somewhere that 78 heads, more specificly the exaust ports are different from 79 and up heads, but i don't know for sure.:confused:

"78" ports will have a retangle shape. Where the "79" and up are sqaure shape and up 1" from where the "78" ports are.

so if i bought later model heads, whar kind of exaust piping would be required to complete the setup?

First I would check to make sure the heads will fit the 78 block (water passage line up), Then the 79 or up cross over pipe should fit. I found the 83 crossover to be a little bigger than the 79.

I believe that 79/85 manifolds will bolt to '78 heads and vice-versa. Somebody did report that they needed to do some minor grinding (of what I can't remember).

If you can change the heads to 79/87, do it. And swap your intake with a '79 to take full advanatge of the new heads. You could also use a 1980 aluminum intake, but you would have to relocate the knock sensor to the block (requiring drilling and tapping the block - which could be already done if it's not the original block.)

I currently running a '79 driver's side manifold connect to an '83 crossover. :)

This might help: http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/exhaust.htm

Thanks for the info and the link. I'll be looking into getting a 79 intake and late model heads.

I have a set of High Ports. That came off the turbo engine that was in my car before this engine. I believe there a 1981.

Make an offer.

They need to be cleaned up; they have about 50,000 miles on them.

newr heads and related parts

Yes the 79-87 heads will bolt on to the 78 block. You can even use the tubular exhaust manifolds from a non intercooled 84-85 SFI engine. If you prefer, Postons headers for the 84-5 will work too. I have a 78 Turbo Sport Coupe, I went a little further and converted mine to the 84-5 SFI setup. Any questions, feel free to call 763-783-0700 Brad

Back