You can type here any text you want

Dakota Digital dash VOLT light issue.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRICKSIXPA

East Coast Go fast with class club MAGNA!!!
Staff member
Hey I installed my Dakota digital dash got to say it's a nice unit! The only issue is I went to turn the car over and the VOLT light is not coming on. Hence my battery is not being charged while the car is running. I wanted to keep my Brake light, Volt light and turn signal working after this install. I tapped the Volt light wire and brake light and turn signal wire from the harness in the dash that plugs into the factory instrument cluster. Ran it to a 12vt socket and then grounded the other end. Neither lights are working. My turn signal lights are working fine. What did some of you guys do to get yours to work. I don't really want to throw a field fix on the car.
206827f7d4e5b4babc24bba8ae6567e2.jpg
902970d463c66b6953fb99b075c542b3.jpg
b501e9223d0989e7623c0119b3cbe114.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one end of bulb to 12v switched the other end goes to alternator L port

So the Volt wire in the harness grounds out the circuit lighting the bulb up? In turn completing the circuit.

the regulator does and when the alternator is running the bulb will be off
you should also add a resistor across the bulb wires , 470 ohm

the dash bulb for volt (in the idiot cluster) should have had the resistor on the back of the twist in socket

Will work on that. So what about the brake light does that ground out when the car is started then goes out.

I have a caspers field fix for the charging issue.
Volt, brake, turn signals just tap into the harness. The only thing you will not tap under the dash is the fuel. Seems like you got that working.
When you figure out how to get the speed output to your CPU post it.

Yep Paul got me the connector that the speedometer cable screws into. Capped it with a small metal box. I'm pretty sure I tapped the pink wire going to the VSS box. I haven't taken her for a spin until I can get my volts up. I'm thinking my brake light is loose I will check it when I fix the Volt light. Just got to order the resistors don't what to mess with the stock cluster. I case I ever want to put it back in.

Volt, brake, turn signals just tap into the harness. The only thing you will not tap under the dash is the fuel.
I did tap the fuel wire. I did the setup for the GM 90 on the cluster. It's reading 27 on my gauge and I know I don't have that much gas in there. I'm pretty sure it reads 0-99 on the fuel level.

Yep Paul got me the connector that the speedometer cable screws into. Capped it with a small metal box. I'm pretty sure I tapped the pink wire going to the VSS box. I haven't taken her for a spin until I can get my volts up. I'm thinking my brake light is loose I will check it when I fix the Volt light. Just got to order the resistors don't what to mess with the stock cluster. I case I ever want to put it back in.

More info.
What connector?
And you built a metal box for the light sensor?

i used standard regal clusters and wiring circuit when i did the cyberdyne dashes (now Dakota), used the regal speedo head for the vss optic although almost any mid 80s speedometer would work

remove the speedometer face , needle spring and disc and the odometer wheels ..whats left is the small aluminum cast housing that the speedo cable pushes onto with the vss blade at other end .. cap the blade ( i use a small cup and wrap in duct tape) so it and stays out of the light and so it doesnt hit anything under dash , put the optic sensor into rear as original and put back on end of speedo cable . your vss for cruise , scanmaster MPH and lockup will work as it always did

Ok, so you guys are using the stock speed sensor and not the Dakota digital.

you need the dakota sender for the digital dash, if you want your lockup cruise and SM to work without any issues .. simple ...keep the stock vss setup

dakota digital speed sensor. ... use the vss output from dakota wiring box and with the dakota digital programing in the setup select 2000 ppm out put for vss signal

dakota digital speed sensor. ... use the vss output from dakota wiring box and with the dakota digital programing in the setup select 2000 ppm out put for vss signal
I'm having trouble finding the green vss box. I think I can barely see it from under the dash. Can get to the wires.
If I tap into the green wire from the optic off the back of the factory cluster I get a signal through the scanmaster/power logger but it is like double the actual speed.
Should I try to change my ppm again?
At on point I tied into the wire directly off the ECM andgot nothing.

Ok got my VOLT light fixed jumped the brown #3 wire to the pink/blk #1 put the 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor into the light bulb socket. And have light and a good 14vt charge.

Im have the same issue here tricksixpa
Im confused on how you jumped the #1 and #3 wires and put in a resistor on the light.Isnt the #1 and #3 the wires to the light?
I have the resistor in line with the #1 and #3 wires.When i land the plug on the alternator i lose the voltage.
Any idea?

Yes the 1 & 3 wire I tapped into ran it to a light socket stuck the light bulb in it along with one end of these resistors one end touching one side of the light bulb socket connector and the other side to the other end.
938ed9ab6193f6c85145e77d0b646a8f.jpg

Back