You can type here any text you want

Dakota Digital dash VOLT light issue.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Just got my car on the road so I still need to calibrate the Speedometer. Per the instructions hold the SW1 switch in turn the car on. It should be on SPEED. Then select MPH/KM, then hold button til CAL comes up. Then you have to drive the car one measured mile. To do this either drive your other car and mark off where the mile is at or use a GPS device. When you start it should read CAL on the display! Drive one mile and press and release the SW1 switch. It should be calibrated at this point. Below CAL on the dash will usually read your Odometer but during this process it will be reading Pulse width. It should increase as you go faster and keep moving as your wheels do. The car can stop during this process and slow down. Just have to know exactly where the one mile mark is!! Hope this helps if someone is having trouble setting their dash up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe this is the thread I need to be on..I need help with my Dakota digital unit and the Vss cord behind the dash..I see no connections for it to the brain of the dakota...Can anyone shed some light on how this gets wired into the brain of the dakota...For a unit that costs almost a $1000 with the senders the instructions are horrible! You would think they would send specific instructions for the specific car its made for but they dont...

The brown wire on the VSS harness gets tapped to the brain/ connector box.

Maybe this is the thread I need to be on..I need help with my Dakota digital unit and the Vss cord behind the dash..I see no connections for it to the brain of the dakota...Can anyone shed some light on how this gets wired into the brain of the dakota...For a unit that costs almost a $1000 with the senders the instructions are horrible! You would think they would send specific instructions for the specific car its made for but they dont...
The brown wire on the VSS harness gets tapped to the brain/ connector box.

I have no brown wire..I have black red and green going to the small optics plug that mounted tot he old cluster near the speedo cable...If I did have a brown which connection does it go under on the brain of the dakota? I see nothing for vssView attachment 284729
IMG_5209.JPG

Going to the VSS buffer that's the green box there is a brown wire. If it's just three wires it's the green wire. Sorry it's been awhile since I was under there. Tap this wire to the unit where it reads SPD SND

Going to the VSS buffer that's the green box there is a brown wire. If it's just three wires it's the green wire. Sorry it's been awhile since I was under there. Tap this wire to the unit where it reads SPD SND

Ok cool thanks! Where do I find this green box? Also I already have the wires from the supplied dakota sender on that SPD SND...Guess maybe I have something wrong or I have to switch them around? or does it go under with the two wires?

Ok so in other words the green wire that is attached to the end seen in the pics is the wire?

We might need to talk on the phone! Pm me your # I can walk you through some things. Your not going to be using the Supplied speed sensor that came in the box! Just tap the green wire and run it to the box where it reads SPD SND.

We might need to talk on the phone! Pm me your # I can walk you through some things. Your not going to be using the Supplied speed sensor that came in the box! Just tap the green wire and run it to the box where it reads SPD SND.

Thanks Tricksix for the phone call and the info last night! Its much appreciated! ...But before do that,
I am about to try something and I want your opinion on it before I take the old cluster apart and make the box you mentioned...The VSS cable seems to be a red hot leg, black negative leg and a green return signal leg to the computer and whatever else it feeds..Judging by what you told me I am guessing the way it works is threw inferred....Sort of like a garage door safety units that are mounted on both sides near the ground..If they are blocked the door will not come all the way down as a safety... I havent even taken the old cluster apart yet but I am guessing that there may be a spindle inside the unit to reflect the inferred from the sending unit to the reciever (green wire) in pulses..Reflecting, not reflecting, reflecting, not reflecting and so on, in a ratio which feeds back to the car on the green leg to determine the speed...In other words,The faster the pulse the faster the speed....Now, If I were to use the speedo cable from dakota and hook it up how they mention, Then take that green return signal wire and put it on the additional spot on the dakota module marked SPEED OUT I am wondering if that would do the trick?
What do you think?

Nope! The Dakota speed sensor is not sending a 2200 signal which our cars requires. That signal can only come from using the old setup. I'm guessing the blades spin and the light passes through which creates a signal that the buffer reads. Going back the Dakota dash is gonna read Speed sensor differently than our ECM and it's just not gonna be compatible.

Nope! The Dakota speed sensor is not sending a 2200 signal which our cars requires. That signal can only come from using the old setup. I'm guessing the blades spin and the light passes through which creates a signal that the buffer reads. Going back the Dakota dash is gonna read Speed sensor differently than our ECM and it's just not gonna be compatible.

Thats exactly what I think it does....I think is senses the light pattern at a certain speed ratio....Did you ever give it a shot? not even with calibrating the dakota speedo?

Ok I just pulled the old cluster apart..This is what Im left with...I dont think there is any reason to have the rest attached is there? As long as the VSS pics up the spinning metals reflection..Im not even sure if it will need to be in a dark box because if its relying on reflection it shouldnt matter..What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_5210.JPG
    IMG_5210.JPG
    478.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5211.JPG
    IMG_5211.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 56
I'm having trouble finding the green vss box. I think I can barely see it from under the dash. Can get to the wires.
If I tap into the green wire from the optic off the back of the factory cluster I get a signal through the scanmaster/power logger but it is like double the actual speed.
Should I try to change my ppm again?
At on point I tied into the wire directly off the ECM andgot nothing.
Removed the radio. Found it works fine now.

Back