You can type here any text you want

Dash speaker fit problem!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nighttrain

Last year I upgraded my entire stereo system for my 87 GN. Included in this was replacing the small dash speakers. I bought the right size of speakers, but didn't realize until they were in the car that they sat too high compared to the factory ones, and as a result the upper dash panel could not sit flush. I didn't worry about it too much at the time as my dash panel was cracked on both sides (as those tend to), but now I am getting around to replacing it, and I would like to not have to replace the speakers, has anyone run into this problem and come up with some kind of solution to still be able to attach the dash panel and just have it sitting maybe half an inch higher?

Thanks,
Nighttrain

Most of the 3.5" two-ways are like that having the tweeter poping up a bit...

The only way to prevent this is to check height clearence on the tweeter or you will have to go with dual cones 3.5's.

I just installed infinity kappas, and with the tabs the way they were the speaker sat too high. So I bent the tabs up and then level with the top of the speaker, used a little ultra back RTV silicone on the tabs ( glued them in ) and they work great. No screws.
Tarey D.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will have a look at my speakers and see if I can do the same thing with bending the tabs up and glue them in!

Thanks

When installing my Infinity Kappas, instead of screwing it down on the top of the dash I was able to fit the whole speaker inside the speaker hole and mount it to the underside of the dash using those small metal screw clips on the speaker mounting tabs that allowed me to screw them on from underneath.
Wasn't that hard and gave me just enough clearence(about 1/4") for the dash panel to fit flush.

That's a really good idea! I will have to look and see if I can do that with mine. Thanks a lot for the advice.

In my Cutlass, I had to install my Kappa's from UNDERNEATH.

It took me about 3 hours to do, as I had to pull my dash out a little to get in there, but now I have them installed, and my grills fit perfectly.

Ryan

Back