Dead buick. Revive me please.

TONYP

I have an 1987 that is giving me big problems. About a month ago the car started running bad under light load conditions. At first I could still get into it with no problem. Eventually it would only go ~30 mph and rarely make it into boost. I put new plugs in and the problem went away for a few days. The plugs I took out looked rich. Very black. After the new plugs were installed the car worked for about a week then began to start the problem all over again. The problem progressed quickly and now the car wont even start. I am going to put new plugs in the next couple of days so I can start it and try to diagnose a little more. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated. Car has te-44, 36lbs, maf translator, etc. Car has run many mid 12 passes and never given me a problem until now. Thanks for the help.

Tony

Just some brainstorming...

1. Have you checked the fuel pressure?
2. I concur with scottyb...check out the O2 sensor.
3. I'm assuming you're not running a catalytic, but a clogged unit [or muffler(s)] could cause exactly what you're experiencing.

I am not running a cat. I am going to put a new o2 sensor in. the one in now has been a little lazy lately. Can the o2 sensor play that much havock on my car? Thanks for the help.

Tony

Scan tool?

A scan tool will give you more info to work with....What are you using?

If you don't have one, I live in COS, Come down or I can stop my next trip through there and we can put Tlink on it and see if it will tell us anything that would make the fix more simple.... :)

I have a known good MAF to try....

Thanks for the link Scott I think it should be very helpful. Does it apply to type II coils also? Iburou I have a Scanmaster but your scantool may be more helpful. If I cant solve this soon I may take you up on the offer. We should go tear up COS sometime.

Thanks,

Tony

a bad cam sensor will flood the engine under light loads, just went thru the same thing with my buddies car, it ran great under full throttle but like crap at light load. when the cam sensor is going bad the computer fires all the injectors all the time since it doesn't know where its at. it will then foul the plugs.

I was wondering if it may be the cam sensor. That makes sense. It runs good with fresh plugs for a short period of time until the plugs are fouled out. What other symptons should I look for with the cam sensor and how should I test it?

Thanks,

Tony

not sure how to test it, we went to pepboys and bought the cap for like 50 bucks and threw it on.

and there were no other symptoms besides the plugs getting fouled so quik, he thought it was cool cause it ran like a raped ape at WOT with new plugs.