Defend the 10 bolt 8.5 rearend

Sorry to say but tuggy starting this is what prompted me to register over here. ive been on this board before reading and there is lots of good info to be had. I have nothing against the 8.5 but when it came time to upgrade the rear in my gp i went with 9 inch. That was my choice and its my mone so whos to tell me what choice to make. Love grand nationals and t types and the 8.5 is a great rear. But opinions are opinions... tuggy was out of line coming over here and stating we dont know what we are talking about and just being a trouble maker. Now hes back on maliburacing showing what a tool he is.
MalibuRacing.com Message Boards • View topic - How to shift with sterring box shifter when drag racing?

the net is full of "opinions" .. Opinions are like *******s .. Everybody has one :p:biggrin:

and i dont know where he got 2900 for a nine inch. i paid 2000 and got a strange case,strange spool,moser 35 spline axles, brand new 11 inch drum setup and a 1350 billet yoke and aluminum support. the rear was ready to bolt in for 2k. so he saved 300 bucks by going with the 8.5...

Sorry to say but tuggy starting this is what prompted me to register over here. ive been on this board before reading and there is lots of good info to be had. I have nothing against the 8.5 but when it came time to upgrade the rear in my gp i went with 9 inch. That was my choice and its my mone so whos to tell me what choice to make. Love grand nationals and t types and the 8.5 is a great rear. But opinions are opinions... tuggy was out of line coming over here and stating we dont know what we are talking about and just being a trouble maker. Now hes back on maliburacing showing what a tool he is.
MalibuRacing.com Message Boards • View topic - How to shift with sterring box shifter when drag racing?

First off just becuase I do not know anything about drag racing does not mean I am dumb. Second I posted about drag racing before I made this so get your dates in line. Third The guy asked a question on what to choose and I told him the 8.5 since it is a better option. Everyone over on Maliburacing.com does not even give the 8.5 credit for being a decent rearend. They were bashing it to death. So I took it over here and wanted let other know how they bash the 8.5 rearend. People on here run 8 seconds with the 8.5 and runs perfectly fine. Also the ford 9" takes a few more HP to move it so your losing a few seconds on that. So just becuase I wanted to share what happened with what happens over at Maliburacing makes me a tool? I did not ever say anything bad about you guys over there. I just said you guys need to learn a little more about the 8.5 rearend. So what you getting angry about? Just chill out and be happy

I agree with "odell4o8". :wink: I think that a 8.5 rear axle, even well reinforced with bullet-proof axles and spool has it's limits. It gets to a point where it 's just a matter of time before it blows apart...:(
That is what I have in my car right now without any issues (still have the car's original ring and pinion!...):eek:, BUT I don't want to wait 'till it explodes, so sooner or later, I definitely intend to go with a Ford 9".

Claude. :wink:

Also the ford 9" takes a few more HP to move it so your losing a few seconds on that.

No, you don't lose "a few seconds" on that. If it even cost you half a second, no one would run it. MAYBE a tenth, in the right car. Doubt even that though.

You're right, just because you don't know anything about drag racing does not make you dumb. However, it makes you unqualified to post about what rear end option is best FOR DRAG RACING. Do you know the forces involved when a transbrake car launches? Do you know what happens to your car when a c-clip axle fails? Just because someone out there is doing it doesn't make it a good idea. Not to mention most g bodies didn't come with one and you have to spend a TON of cash to get a used buildable core, unless you've got mad fab skills and can narrow your own and add your own brackets and ears to it. And if you've got that kind of talent, I can assure you, you'd find a better design to start with. Is it a good axle? yes. Is it a great axle? no. Can you get a better axle for the same investment? YES!

Like Bison said, it depends on the goal. If you have one and it's for a relatively slow car or a street car, use it. If you're building HIGH horsepower and high traction, and you have to find one, it's not worth looking for.

No, you don't lose "a few seconds" on that. If it even cost you half a second, no one would run it. MAYBE a tenth, in the right car. Doubt even that though.

You're right, just because you don't know anything about drag racing does not make you dumb. However, it makes you unqualified to post about what rear end option is best FOR DRAG RACING. Do you know the forces involved when a transbrake car launches? Do you know what happens to your car when a c-clip axle fails? Just because someone out there is doing it doesn't make it a good idea. Not to mention most g bodies didn't come with one and you have to spend a TON of cash to get a used buildable core, unless you've got mad fab skills and can narrow your own and add your own brackets and ears to it. And if you've got that kind of talent, I can assure you, you'd find a better design to start with. Is it a good axle? yes. Is it a great axle? no. Can you get a better axle for the same investment? YES!

Like Bison said, it depends on the goal. If you have one and it's for a relatively slow car or a street car, use it. If you're building HIGH horsepower and high traction, and you have to find one, it's not worth looking for.

Voice of reason here, tuggy. Read it, understand it, and know it...Don't offer advice if you don't know what you are talking about...the intranets will thank you...