You can type here any text you want

DETONATION! is it the chips fault??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KillrV6

Former owner
what i got: 009 injectors, stock turbo, stock wastegate actuator, hot wired 307 pump, chip burned by friend in club when he sold me the 009's.

my 02's at WOT were 859 (yeah i know rich), boost was around 16 or 15, and i was getting any where from 2.8 to 4.5 degres of knock.

now this is what really gets me: part throttle, o2's at 830 somthing, boost reaching about 7 or so PSI. i was getting like 4 or 5 deg. of knock!?!?!
this really bugs me because a week ago when the car was BONE stock it had 0 knock. it just got new valve springs and timing chain and the injectors and chip w/ a 160* T stat.

is it the chip causing me this ping? too much timing and a wierd fuel curve? turbo spools up good and good throttle responce but this knock stuff pisses me off!

or could it be somthing like a pluged fuel filter? <--this does not make sense because why wouldnt it have knocked when i was stock?

any help is much apreciated. :confused:

Can you say rich knock!!! There is such a thing. If you are running too rich it can cause knock. What is your FP set at? What type of fuel? Are you running alky? What is the timing in the chip? Do you have an eGT meter? What is your TPS settings? Need more info. But from the top of my head, I would guess you are noticing rich/false knock. Bring down the boost and try a WOT blast, if it still knocks then you know your have rich knock.

As far as testing your fueling. If you can try putting on a FP gauge and taping it to your windshield and watch your FP when you go on boost, It should go up 1psi for each # of boost. If it does not go up under boost you then would have a fueling problem.

my TPS is set at .40

fuel is 91 octane
I don’t know the timing of the chip

I have a FP gauge and the FP is a little low to counter the bigger injectors on stock turbo and motor.
My FP is set at 38 w/ the vac line off, 02's are still at 850. Boost cant be going over 16 psi, I don’t have an adjustable waste gate (its on its way!)

i will put my gauge on the windshield today and try it out.

it got worse today!!!

last night it was cool out. today its about 80 deg. out and i put my cold air intake on to see if that would lean it out a tiney bit so i could get less rich knock but instead it rewarded me with 8 degreez of knock at WOT and 11.5 at part throttle??? WTF IS UP WITH THIS???

that is dangerious knock!!!:mad:

w/ stock injectors and stock regulator and stock chip it had 0 knock. o2's are still in the 850 range:mad: :mad: :mad:

How old is the 02 sensor? 02 sensors are relatively cheap, try with another one and see if the readings are the same.

Try this, bring up your FP to 42 line off and try again. Obviously if you get alot of knock let off, don't try to brake anything.

Do you have a RJC Power Plate?

I don't recall that you have ALKY and you are running with 91 octane @ 16#. Two of your cylinders might be leaning out due to the inherant air distribution, which the Power Plate should/would correct.

Can someone help me here in remembering the two cylinders that lean out?

I would then check the plugs from those two cylinders. If they are whitish, that would indicate lean conditions and detonation. If that is the case you have your answer, and I would recommend purchasing a power plate which is really cheap <$70. This will help equal out the air distribution and reduce or eliminate this detonation. And if you want to run more boost with 91 octane I would strongly suggest going with an alky injection system. I can run 24-26# with 93 octane with my alky system.

Keep me posted. And remember don't push it, take it a lil at a time or things go boom and your wallet goes empty:)

Unless you can get race fuel, I would have to agree the low octane is a huge issue. If no racing fuel I would also suggest going with alcohol. Not enough octane there to support your upgrades and boost.

Hrrmm... new springs on old cam + knock / gets worse = flat cam?

Get your fueling squared away and see where you are then.

S

Try some xylene ot toulene mix... that is the quickest way to boost octane.

Look to your local paint supply store for service ;)

It sounds like you have too much timing in the chip for the octane you are running. See if your buddy will tell you what the timing is. Is it a copy of a chip or his design?

Paul

just ordered a RAMCHARGERS 91 octane chip. we will see how that works out. ill keep you guys poasted.

thx for the replys!

Back