Detroit Ponycar wars in Trucks

jmidolo

Sexy MF Joe
Just got my new MotorTrend in the mail yesterday. Pretty good story on the Dodge and Ford super pickups. Viper motor in a Ram and 500HP in the Lightning. Now if they would only put that kind of power into something that can haul more than 3 people, that would be great!

Ram is offering a manual trans it looks like too. Should make for an interesting year with more power in the future.

The SRT-10 is only coming in a manual as far as I can tell. Good toy but I'm not a fan of hand shakers.

The 2004 Caddillac CTS could start HP war in sedans, too. 400 HP LS6 motor with a six speed vs. 375 HP Hemi 300C.

It's only a matter of time before they build something cheap for the rest of us.

Too bad GM dropped the ball with the Silverado SS, it's in the price range, but can't even hold a candle to the performance of DCX and Ford's muscle trucks.

What a damn shame.

The CTS-V isn't meant to compete with the 300C and vice versa, either. The CTS-V is to squarely compete with European super sedans like the M5, RS 6, RS 4, and Mercedes AMG models.

Originally posted by UNGN
It's only a matter of time before they build something cheap for the rest of us.

:confused:

They already do, it's called the Dodge SRT-4, Pontiac GTO, and Ford Mustang.

Yeah it's a term for manual trans. Here's more:

Hand Shaker
A hook
Two footer
Rowing in traffic

Originally posted by TriShield
:confused:

They already do, it's called the Dodge SRT-4, Pontiac GTO, and Ford Mustang.

Subaru WRX is only $2K more than what the dealer wants for an SRT-4 and it is quicker. Not quite "detroit muscle".

$32K+ for a $14K mustang with a big motor and IRS isn't a good deal last time I checked.

Sure nobody makes anything faster for less, but that doesn't mean they can't.

One of the magazines I read got a stock Dodge SRT-4 to go 101 mph in the quarter. That's not muscle? Our Buicks didn't do that stock. :confused:

It's muscle, just not "detroit muscle" I think is what he meant...Also, our GN is probably about 800 to 1000 lbs heavier than a SRT or WRX for sure.