You can type here any text you want

DFI Gen 6- do i have a problem or is this normal?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

draggin3

I had my car out friday after having it apart during the last year. Its a ford 383 w/ a super victor converted to fuel injection and supercharged. After 2 passes I checked my plugs and 2,3,6 & 7 were clean and the outside corners 1,4,5, & 8 were richer. I expected 1 maybe 2 lean cylinders but not 4. Is this typical? Thank you.

I just read this twice and I have a question.

If the motor is leaning out on the corners that would be cylinders 1,2,7 and 8.

If what you are saying is correct it is not a manifold problem. You are not getting enough fuel to the cylinders.

Try adding 5 to 10 percent to the map and see what that does.

The simple things you can look at is are you sure you have big enough injectors to do the job?

Make sure your fuel pump is up to the job as well. I have seen fried pistons on a motor with big enough injectors but the fuel pump was on its way out.

Good luck

This is typical of what I have seen on open plenum manifolds with blowers and turbos. You can install a Accel Variable Injector Controller (V.I.C.) that has individual control of each cylinder, unless you have a seq. unit and that has individual cylinder control. I would tune in more fuel until the lean cylinders look ok. It is cheaper to replace plugs than pistons. If money is not a problem I would step up to a newer system with these options and a wideband 02.

Reggie, SBF motors are numbered differently than SBC motors. 2,3,6 and 7 are the inner 4. Drivers side bank is 1-4 front to back, pass side is 5-8 front to back.

The inner cylinders running differently than the outer cylinders is a fairly common air distribution issue. There are some things you could do to straighten the problem out but this is by no means unheard of.

So the fact that I have not worked on Fords very much at all is painfully obvious right now?

:D

Thank you Reggie, Quick, and Craig. I did add more fuel to compensate. I'm glad to hear this is not uncommon. I thought maybe I had harness or injector driver problems. the pump is a weldon 2025 and the injectors are 83s. i hope i won't have any fuel problems for a while. The old dfi has to last until I save enough pennies for the sequential fast box. first time out it went 146 in true street form and i'm thinking i'll gain alot w/ the fast box when i get it. Again, thank you for your help. Trace

Back