You can type here any text you want

DFI gen VI base fuel maps

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JDEstill

Turboliscious!
Occasionally guys come on here looking for help with their gen VI DFI's, needing fuel maps and such. This can be a problem if they have something a little atypical, like 36 lb injectors, which very people would run with a DFI. I thought it might be handy for these guys to have some maps to reference, that it might make their tuning a little easier. So I whipped up a few generic base fuel maps. These aren't intended to be finished products, but rather a baseline to get the car started and to start tuning from. Find them here:
http://pages.prodigy.net/buickv6/CarStuff/DFI Gen6 Base Fuel Maps for GN.pdf

Hope this helps somebody out. If any of you real experts (as opposed to just internet experts like myself) think that these maps are crap, let me know and I'll pull them off the air to keep from misleading anyone.

John

I needed this about 5 years ago? where have you been hiding these:) They are great!

Thanks. How well do any of these maps correspond with maps you've used on your car?

John

I was waiting for someone else to ask, but I'll just bite. Are you also willing to (graciously) share the .xls files? Just thought i'd ask.

Thanks,

J nesbitt

well, I suppose I could... let me look at it and see if it needs any cleaning up

John

if the car would run, i would know, apparently i have a bad dfi box

Pretty commom for the ECM IAC control circuit to go T!!s Up on the Gen 6.03 Been there done that. Car would not idle. Accel fixed it for $100
Mitch

Well, I'm doing a little better....got cable thursday...downloaded ECM. Sat afternoon went over ECM stuff and made plots look similar to Boahcz's (Sp) in book. Used DFI utilities program to produce base map (36#)...tried to start..no go...tried increasing cranking fuel, afterstart stuff to no avail. Got idea that base was too lean...compared it to yours after I went into the house almost Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon went out and put your 36# map in. (note:255 or 2**8 is the biggest number allowed) tried car and it started the first time!!! Spent the rest of afternoon tuning.. leaning idle...then just off idle....then higher till got rid of black smoke....checked timing and it was where the ign table said...28 init...had son drive laptop while I drove car...we spent a good while trying more power/rpm and leaning until I was getting an amber light on knock sens at shift (15 psi). I'm scared to try more until WBO2 comes in....ordered one from Tech Edge yestrday....

After ALL THIS let me just say thanks for the maps! The 36 was a great help...let me see just HOW FAR the ACCEL one was off. The 36 was waaaay to rich, but that's where you want to start...(IMO)...I just need to figure out a way to keep from having to type those 240 numbers in!!!!

I got a friend who will give me a Gen7 ecm, But ineed the wbo2 and buick harness to use it, I have been running a FAST for 2 years and like it, Would it be worth switching?

Jay -

Glad my map helped! That gives me the warm fuzzies :) Sorry I haven't put my spreadsheet up yet, it's been a busy week. I'll get to it soon. I did set all the maps up to be on the rich side, glad to hear it worked out like it was supposed to.

John

Got it!! Thanks. Now I have to analyze it!!! (Sorry, it's just my nature).....Will try to see (and learn) about your assumptions. Do you mind my asking your thinking if I don't understand some of them? (Done respectfully, of course.) Although I've built engines a lot of years, I've tuned a lot more carbs than FI. I've already figued out that I like keying in BF tables better than pulling Holley float bowls!!!! LOL!!!!

Thanks,

JN

I just want to give you a huge thanks.This is exactly what I was looking for.Just wondering if you had the ignition tables(50#)?Thanks Again,Tony

I guess you got the dfi to communicate now.........tmgn

Nope, don't have any ignition tables. That part of things I haven't really gotten into. I've always been more interested in the fueling part of things.

Ya know, if I was switching from a stock ecm to a DFI, I would do some serious datalogging before the switch. I'd use DirectScan and a TurboLink boost sensing harness (as has been described several times in the Scan Tool area), and get data at idle, cruise, transients, and WOT. Then you'd have fuel inj pw and spark vs. rpm and manifold pressure for all points that you actually drive in. Then you can enter that data into your DFI setup as a baseline to start tuning from.

Without that data, if I wanted a spark map, I'd probably start with a map from the stock chip or something. The stock chip has spark vs. rpm and LV8 I think, and you ought to be able to get some feel for how LV8 compares to MAP. That would give you some place to start from at least.

John

Yes I did get the DFI to communicate finally.Thanks for your help.My GN came with DFI when I purchased it.Trying to learn as much as possible.If anyone has a good ignition map for 50# let me know.

With a calmap 6.32 do you have to jumper any wires to get the
ac conditioner to work. My conpressor wont come on?

Thanks all

John, do a search on a/c in this forum, I've seen similar questions asked with regards to the FAST system. I think the stock ecm grounds a relay or something, and once you take the ecm out it doesn't get activated and the system won't work until it does. I'm sure the answer for the FAST guys is also the answer for you.

John

Back