Did I break my brakes?

BuickGNMan

I made a genius move yesterday trying to install my rebuilt PM from Kirbans. I checked my rear brake shoes on the passenger side. Figured the reason I had such a hard time getting the drum off was because I forgot to depressurize the system. Duh! So before pulling the driver side drum also, I got in the car, pumped the brake pedal, and on the second pump heard a loud "POP". Got out and saw brake fluid all over the floor on the passenger side. UGH!!! The "pop" was my wheel cylinder blowing itself apart. Only one side came out. I got the plastic cap back in the rubber boot onto the spring inside the cylinder, but the metal thingy that the hydraulic (sp?) fluid pushes wasn't quite as easy. Long story short, I used a pointy tool to stretch the small opening on the end of the rubber boot, and tore it pretty good. I then tried to pull it off figuring I'd just by another rubber boot, but it looks to be permanently attached to the cylinder. Can I get another after market rubber boot? Or did I really screw my rear brakes up bad? I don't want to spend $1000 to convert to disk, when my drum brake "were" just fine. If anyone knows of how I can fix this on the cheap, I'll be very in debt to you!

You should be able to buy a wheel cylinder rebuild kit, from any major auto parts chain, for it. It shouldn't be to expensive, but it may have to be ordered, as the normal procedure is to replace the whole wheel cylinder. Most parts houses stock complete wheel cylinders, but not the rebuild kits.

Hope this helps,
John

Well that was easy John. Thanks. The autoparts store had a rebuild kit for $5, and new cylinders for $10 each. I'm gonna do both cylinders for a wopping $20. I shoulda known to check the parts stores first, but I got panic stricken last night, and just started typing. Thanks again! Have a great Turkey Day! :)
Mike

this would be a good time- and the perfect excuse- to upgrade to the bigger S10 wheel cylinders.