Did I destroy my turbo oil seal?

mycarsucks

Rambler
I found a large oil leak from my oil return line off my turbo. Got it all taken care of and started the car. No leak for a little while, then gush ten times worse than before. thought it was the return gasket as thats where I could visibly see the leak. pulled the turbo and noticed the tube was still full of oil. Upon further inspection I found my exhaust housing was full of oil as well....
Did I ruin my seal? Will I have to rebuild this?

before you do anything else you need to find out why you still have oil in the return line. it is it plugged???

Yes, I think my tubing got kinked, I've got it all figured out. However, I really need to get this running tommorrow if possible, and am curious if my seal is toast.

you "might" be ok once you resolve your return line problem. if memory serves me the seal on the exhaust side is no more than a metal ring. the high pressure condition caused by the lack of a return may have just pushed oil past the seal. the only way to know for sure is to fire it up.

if your exhaust elbow was full of oil odds are your downpipe has a nice coating as well. this will cause a lot of smoke for about 10 mins, then it will burn out. good luck

yep what he said ...if it drains now it might be fine the seal is a metal ring kinda like a ring on a piston