Did TTA carry the 1LE aluminum spare?

Where's the Spare? LOL

Like Rob, I've never even opened the compartment of mine, but I've only had it for 3 years.

You guys should pop it open and have a peek. One of the build sheets is stuck to the inside of that panel! It's right near the jack instructions sticker on the back side of it. :cool:

Are You sure these are aluminium? I have one from my mom's '86 bird that had been used and was putting both up in the Attic yesterday. The TTA's felt just as heavy as the plain jane '86 firebirds, Looked the same too.

Where's the Spare? LOL

Like Rob, I've never even opened the compartment of mine, but I've only had it for 3 years.
Good to see there's others like me :) Heck I just discovered there was a storage compartment on the driver side back there that day we met up at Hard8 BBQ. Never had a reason to take it apart because I can never get the spare and jack back together the way it was and I wanted to leave it "original" :biggrin:

Guess I ought to get the build sheet out that Jim mentioned...I failed to ever take my GN door panel apart to get the build sheet out of it..then one day got creamed in the driver side door..went to the body shop and it was lost forever :frown:

Are You sure these are aluminium? I have one from my mom's '86 bird that had been used and was putting both up in the Attic yesterday. The TTA's felt just as heavy as the plain jane '86 firebirds, Looked the same too.

110% sure, use a magnet and you will find out. The regular one is just a 14 inch (or is it 15) and ours are larger 15 (or 16) so the TTA larger spare even if being aluminium would probabrly weigh as much as the smaller one used in 86 (steel rim).

I got 2 TTA spares and they are both aluminium (no magnet sticks to them)

Like others, I had no reason to go look @ the spare.

This thread gave me the reason. I found a Painted Black Aluminum 15" Rim.

Like Jan said , the magnet sticks to the air canister but not the Rim.

There was a Vin ID Sticker on the side of the 1/4 panel , but I found no paperwork back there. Someone must have beat me to it.

TTA%20Spare.jpg

Nice post 0to60n4.5. I knew someone would pull their's to see! :) Everyone in this thread who thought they were steel are not allowed to post in the TTA area anymore!! :rolleyes: :biggrin: When I found out all the spares were aluminum I knew most people would think it was steel just because it was painted black! Well at least you boys learned something new. And to think Dan bought these cars when they were new and thought they were steel! :eek: :D

I checked my 89 GTA years ago with a mag and was suprised to see it was alum. The weight comes from the space saver tire mounted on the rim.

I have never found a build sheet with the spare, but under the rear trim that houses the rear hatch pull down motor. This was the case in both my TTAs.

- Dave

Mine, like all the rest, was aluminum. I also had a partial buildsheet in with the spare. Enough of it left that said Turbo GTA :)

I have never knew that they came with something like that prety sweet. A pair of those would make some cool set of front runners with good tires

I have never knew that they came with something like that prety sweet. A pair of those would make some cool set of front runners with good tires
The GTO spares would make some nice fronts for someone and they actually are a good looking wheel!

:D

Finally pulled the interior corner out today after all these years:D
Its aluminum...

But no build sheet in there so I took the rear panel off too that houses the hatch motor...NO build sheet there either :(

to bad you can't bolt the gto wheels up to anything but a gto/holden
????? They bolt right up to any GM. Corvette guys are buying them up big time because they fit over the brakes.

They will bolt right on to a TTA, Camaro, Firebird, Regal, etc.

Bolt pattern is 5x120 vs 5x120.65. The difference is a hair width or close to the thickness of the paint on the wheel. No problems running standard GM wheel pattern on the GTO and no problems running GTO wheels on the F-Body. Might have to play with the hub center a little. Guy who bought my stock wheels put them on his TA, had to dremel the centers out. 10 minute job for all 4.

everyone i know that is running a gto and using F body wheels with slicks have to get the lug holes sloted by a machine shop

everyone i know that is running a gto and using F body wheels with slicks have to get the lug holes sloted by a machine shop
I have heard of nobody doing that. Sounds like a big waste of money.

Here's what I know fits on the GTO:
17" WS6 wheels fit perfectly in the back. Need to have them narrowed in the front to 8"
C5 and C6 front wheels fit on all 4 corners, 17" and 18"
16" F-Body wheels fit on all 4 corners
There have been a couple 15" wheels fit but I'm not sure which ones.

It all depends on the offset. The WS6 wheels are about as perfect as you can get because of the offset. My Dad runs 16" Firebird wheels for the track with no problems.

As said previously, Corvette guys are buying the spares in droves. All those runflat cars didn't get spares. They bolt right on.