You can type here any text you want

Dimming headlights at WOT

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

louie3888

Guys,

Have you ever had your headlights dim when you go WOT and then suddenly they will go bright? I checked the headlight grounds and they all look good and I wouldn’t think it’s the switch since there not going off and on!

Any ideas or is the original alternator in my 36K TR taking a dump and or my idler pulley show weakness under load.

Thanks

Check your positive battery cable. Trace it down to the starter with you hand. It's common for it to touch header and burn the insulating jacket. Eventually it will wear all the way through and start to arc. You see it during wot because the motor torques down on the passenger side.

HTH

Thanks for the advice I will jack the car up and follow the cable, just from a basic view from above the plastic jacket looks good and is sitting in the orginals battery cable holders.

I also have an egine strap kit that should help the passenger side from swinging to much. Any thoughts on a first generation volt booster from Caspers that was installed back in the 90's?

Thanks

dimming lights

My lights don't dim, I have 90/10 shocks and 70/30 on the rears, have you ever noticed the angle of your car when you accelerate.I can sit and power brake the car and it raises several inches which translates to many feet wen you are looking at the ground. I haven't did the headlight upgrade kit yet but I hate to drive my car at night. I thought I had a similar problem about 8 years ago. I put 27 1/2 tall tires on the front. If you think that it is an actual electrical drainage on the system you can bet that your headlights aren't the only things suffering from a voltage drop. I would watch my WOT blasts until I figured something out. Low voltage to your fuel pump at full boost and we know what happens, backfires, detonation, and blown headgaskets and a whole bunch of ecm problems. Buy a cheap voltmeter and put some long leads and tie into your leads by your beams and let your buddy read out the voltage. Harbor Freight has one that even lights up so that you can see it at night for like $3 bucks. Hope I sparked something.

Back