You can type here any text you want

Dirty T Wheels? - GET EAGLE ROUGH CAST!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SuperSix

Flaccid Member
Wow! :eek: :eek: (Before and after pics below)

I heard on this fine forum that short of bead-blasting these damn wheels to clean them, Eagle Mag Cleaner for Rough Cast was the way to go. After NEVER using any wheel cleaners that didn't clean anything but the money from my wallet..

I had to go to Poopboys to get it, $5.99 I think. From the label, it's basically 3 types of acid.

I followed the instructions on the bottle, cooled the wheels with the hose, then waited for them to dry. I put on some rubber gloves, and sprayed the first wheel. It days on the bottle that some "agitation" may be needed on very dirty wheels, so I grabbed a brush I had, and CAREFULLY brushed the acid into the wheel, no real effort needed. I ended up snapping the cheap brush, so I grabbed an old toothbrush, a children's one, the small size helped get into the nooks and crannies.

The rears (Filthy from being in the front of my NA Regal) needed some special attention, but no real scrubbing needed. I then used some steel wool to brighten up the machined surface areas..

BEFORE/AFTER: Yes, I was ashamed of myself for letting them get this dirty

Here's a larger pic of the right rear before/after: What a difference!

Tips and observations:
1. USE THINK LATEX GLOVES (Playtex, similar) I used some cheap thin 3Ms, and my hands are torn up. This stuff is VERY caustic, you may want to wear jeans too. If you look close at the after pics, you will see I no longer have pain on the back of the disc pads. :D

2. USE EYE PROTECTION! I did, and even though I was very careful, I got a few specks on my work glasses.

3. For best results, I would remove the wheels from the car, I will do this next time, and clean the insides too. This also reduces the possibility of getting it on the paint.

4. Get a few old, small toothbrushes to "agitate" the acid and caked brake dust.

5. After liberally rinsing the wheel, pay special attention to the valve stem, rinse it for awhile, mine kept dripping dark crap afterwards, even after rinsing well, not completely.

Hope this helps!

The stuff works great. I took a 3500 psi powerwasher to mine and it barely did anything but I bought that eagle one stuff on a whim and it worked.

I always get that dark crap no matter how hard I try. Only on my l/f wheel though.

Originally posted by 1of1035
I always get that dark crap no matter how hard I try. Only on my l/f wheel though.

I had some too, and some toothbrush work cleaned it up.

I'll have to try that. It drives me crazy cause the whole car is clean except for one little black stain on the wheel.

What's good for cleaning GNX style rims?? With all those little nooks, I'm sure I'll need the tooth brush and an afternoon. Anything work especially well here?? Is there anything I could put on to protect them?? Make it easier to clean?

Looks good Mark. We all know you were just trying to burn off your fingerprints. :D

Originally posted by gn85
What's good for cleaning GNX style rims?? With all those little nooks, I'm sure I'll need the tooth brush and an afternoon. Anything work especially well here?? Is there anything I could put on to protect them?? Make it easier to clean?

Looks good Mark. We all know you were just trying to burn off your fingerprints. :D

Now I am going to have to kill you..

:D

The easy solution is to get a set of polished or powdercoated T-wheels.
I fought with mine for about a year before caving in and buying a set of powdercoated wheels from Bweavy.
They may not be 100% original, but they look unique and are a breeze to keep clean. I even got two more to mount a set of slicks on for the track.
I also used the Eagle One Etching Mag Wheel cleaner...I'm not sure if it's the same stuff, but I probably went through a case of it in the last year. ;)

S.

Originally posted by SuperSix
Now I am going to have to kill you..

:D

Oh great... I'm going to get killed by a man with no finger prints. The only lead they have is a car speeding away with clean wheels. :)

Be careful with that muriatic acid...that stuff is nasty! I tried it but even after diluting it with water, it seemed still too strong. Did you figure out how much to dilute it?

will this stuff work on the 84-85 style gn rims? or will it take the black paint off with the dirt:eek: if not oh well at least the brake dust matches the paint:rolleyes:

Originally posted by bar87
will this stuff work on the 84-85 style gn rims? or will it take the black paint off with the dirt:eek: if not oh well at least the brake dust matches the paint:rolleyes:

It will remove all paint it touches...

Back