Disappointing track times for 87 GN **video**

cuda6pak

My combo is as follows...

87 GN, rebuilt motor with forged je pistons, girdle, mildly ported stock heads & intake, ARP rod bolts, studded throughout, comp 208 cam, hooker exhaust, 3" THDP, PTE44 with RJC and adjustable wastegate, TurboTweak street chip, MAF translator with LT1 MAF, stock intercooler with Mease neck, 009 injectors, hotwired walbro 340 (?), Art Carr Tranny with Art Carr 3000 n/l, voltbooster, richmond locker, 275/60/15 Nittos on stock tires with 5/8" spacers, no bags, stock suspension. FP set at 43psi base, TT tables bumped up about 8% at WOT

My best time of the night was 8.64@83.14 on about 16psi with 1 degree of knock in between the 2-3 shift and just a tad of knock at the beginning of 3rd gear after that. All the runs on the video were at 15psi except for the last and best run. My 60fts of the night were all 2.0's. Which I don't get because I brake boosted off the line as much as I could then floored it and hooked?

Car runs perfect driving around, no issues at all. I figure this thing should rip with it's combo. Only thing I notice is that it's a little fat down in the low RPM's but leaner as the RPM's go up (same boost) 830mV to around 760mV. Keep in mind the temps were around 80-85* with probably 85% humidity.

Only thing I can really think of is that maybe the TT chip was added before some of the work on the car was done? The things I have personally installed have been the LT1 MAF and translator, boost, knock gauge and scanmaster, cleaned the stock intercooler out, run a boost leak test and fixed all vacuum leaks. Everything else was done prior to me getting it. I have a meth kit installed and waiting to tune, but I'm waiting to sort this out.

I was hoping for some 8.10's@85-86+ for the night. The low mph is what has me wondering what's wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/v/BSwEuBMWZWI

High 13's sound about right for only 15psi. Add some alky and turn up the boost. Combo similar to yours have gone 11's. I went from stock cam to 206 roller with the same TT chip. Eric told me it would work fine. Some suspension/tire pressure tuning may help your 60 times.

That's pretty low boost for a basically low timing chip and still seeing knock. Is the fuel where you're at that crappy??

I also run a low timing chip (extender series), but with our honest to goodness 93 octane fuel, I'm able to run 20# of boost with no/or very little knock retard (less than 1°).
This is what I call my stock street trim, because I also run on real street tires (not DOT stickies).

I'm able to run 8.0's @ 86mph, and cut 1.8 60' times.

TE44, MSD50's, V2FMIC, Trans+ and LS1 MAF (at that time).

You'll need to run more boost and cut much better 60's times.

In your video you spun pretty hard on the first two runs, and the lauches where it stuck didn't look very "hard" at all, so I'm guessing the track prep probably sucked pretty bad.

Get on it

:biggrin: what's your PSI at launch? can you build any boost at the line?
i was pullin a 1.9 60 and launching at 5 psi with and top at 11psi, 8.25 in the 1/4. launch is the key.

That's pretty low boost for a basically low timing chip and still seeing knock. Is the fuel where you're at that crappy??

I also run a low timing chip (extender series), but with our honest to goodness 93 octane fuel, I'm able to run 20# of boost with no/or very little knock retard (less than 1°).
This is what I call my stock street trim, because I also run on real street tires (not DOT stickies).

I'm able to run 8.0's @ 86mph, and cut 1.8 60' times.

TE44, MSD50's, V2FMIC, Trans+ and LS1 MAF (at that time).

You'll need to run more boost and cut much better 60's times.

In your video you spun pretty hard on the first two runs, and the lauches where it stuck didn't look very "hard" at all, so I'm guessing the track prep probably sucked pretty bad.

The fuel here shouldn't be too bad. I've always picked it up from the same gas station, even when I had my turbo 95 cobra, and I ran that thing at 11psi on a stock 170k longblock and never had any issues with knock.

So what you guys are saying is that my times look okay for my mods? I figured a barely modded TR would run those times.

I never looked at the boost at the line, I figured it should have been 5psi+, I had my foot almost to the floor at the line.

track times

from what you have on the car the main thing holding you back is your boost and or you boost off the line.You might want to run race gas at track or get you an alcohol injection kit.The initial cost of the alcohol may seem pricey but you will make it back in the long run with the price of race gas.I run the same turbo with 009(smaller than yours) alcohol injection with dual m15 nozzles(only using one)I have both a 93octane chip low timming and a 114octane chip high timming.that te44 at that low of boost is the same as the stock turbo.It doesn't wake up until about 22lbs then you can tell the difference. You may want to get you a rjc boost controller or something similar for turbo to spool up faster.With the alchahol injection and race chip I have been able to run consistant 7.2 at 92mph. I'm able to footbrake it to 8lbs for a 1.59 60ft stock suspension.I have been running this set up for almost 2 years now no problems to the track at least once a week and daily driver.

from what you have on the car the main thing holding you back is your boost and or you boost off the line.You might want to run race gas at track or get you an alcohol injection kit.The initial cost of the alcohol may seem pricey but you will make it back in the long run with the price of race gas.I run the same turbo with 009(smaller than yours) alcohol injection with dual m15 nozzles(only using one)I have both a 93octane chip low timming and a 114octane chip high timming.that te44 at that low of boost is the same as the stock turbo.It doesn't wake up until about 22lbs then you can tell the difference. You may want to get you a rjc boost controller or something similar for turbo to spool up faster.With the alchahol injection and race chip I have been able to run consistant 7.2 at 92mph. I'm able to footbrake it to 8lbs for a 1.59 60ft stock suspension.I have been running this set up for almost 2 years now no problems to the track at least once a week and daily driver.

how much boost are you running?

My mods r in my sig.....ran 12.6-12.7's last saturday with 20psi @WOT w/8psi launch. TT race chip set up for stock injectors and stock turbo, 108 race gas and 24# timing w/ 0 knock.

You should be able to cut 1.70 or better 60' times.... that alone would have gotten you .4-.5 sec in the 1/8.....

As others have said... you need to get rid of the knock... and then come up with the boost.... using either race gas... or (my favorite)... ALKY.... you could likely tune your way up to 25 psi+ with alky... and run some mid 11's then... still on pump gas....

Crank that boost up! I ran 27 psi max on a TE44 on a stock unopened motor with alky injection...ran 11.50's to 11.70's all day...on alky, don't go higher than 23 degrees of timing...oh and get that car to leave harder with like 10 psi of boost with slicks...I launched with 15 psi of boost at the starting line

i ran a 8.18 @ 89.7 mph in the 1/8 in the heat with mods in my sig @ 16-16.5 psi of boost. the only real difference is the tune i suspect. also i forgot to mention i had a 2.04 60 ft on street tires.

TUNE TUNE AND TUNE thats where tha car is falling off on the MPH.

i ran a 8.18 @ 89.7 mph in the 1/8 in the heat with mods in my sig @ 16-16.5 psi of boost. the only real difference is the tune i suspect. also i forgot to mention i had a 2.04 60 ft on street tires.

TUNE TUNE AND TUNE thats where tha car is falling off on the MPH.

We tried doing a little tuning but the only things I really have to work with are the TT parameter settings, which I'm almost maxed out for on WOT fuel. And FP, bumped it up a tad to 45psi for the last run and it didn't help much.

We tried doing a little tuning but the only things I really have to work with are the TT parameter settings, which I'm almost maxed out for on WOT fuel. And FP, bumped it up a tad to 45psi for the last run and it didn't help much.

What is the injector duty cycle at the traps? As you stated... the chip was cut prior to some of the changes... Eric will add more fuel in the chip for free I think... as long as you don't change injector size..... Get him to put some more fuel in it... he can probably make that cell that you have maxed out... back to 128 with the same amount of fuel you currently have programmed maxed out.....so you will have plenty of adjustment again....

Just a thought.

What is the injector duty cycle at the traps? As you stated... the chip was cut prior to some of the changes... Eric will add more fuel in the chip for free I think... as long as you don't change injector size..... Get him to put some more fuel in it... he can probably make that cell that you have maxed out... back to 128 with the same amount of fuel you currently have programmed maxed out.....so you will have plenty of adjustment again....

Just a thought.

I can't really check the injector duty cycle because all I'm running is a scanmaster. But I will get back with Eric and see if he can do some tweaking to the chip to add a little bit more fuel in.