You can type here any text you want

Do extra braces work?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1QWIK6

Torque wins
Does the radiator X brace make any difference in handling?

Does the frt (lower and/or upper) braces from frame to K-member actually stiffen the car?

6744.jpg

https://www.kirbanperformance.com/store/photos/6564.jpg

I am not sure about the radiator braces, but the braces from kirbans really helped stiffen up my car, it handles great. I really like the rear seat braces also.

Body Braces

In short, Yes. The extra braces do help. They transfer the flex that the body and frame may experience back to the suspension, where it belongs. They are not perfect in this, but they do make a noticable difference. I believe there was another thread on this subject that explained it better.

Just as an example, our 87GN got the braces under the front end and behind the seat at the same time we rebuilt the suspension...all together it made a world of difference to handling. I still have the body bushings to replace, but the dashboard and the steering wheel stopped shaking over bumps, the T-tops are hardly ever heard any more, and the car can now take a corner without making you $h!t your pants. I don't think I would race a slolam course, but the improvement was grand. :biggrin:

As a single add-on, I would think they would be worth the money. Most would agree.

Don't know about the radiator brace, ours has always had it.

I installed the 2 corner braces that install in the engine compartment from the side wall to near the radiator. They were pretty hard to install. You have to drill 2 holes in the side wall for those braces. Had a hard time getting my fat fingers around the back of the side wall to install the nut. I ended up wrapping duct tape around my finger sticky side up. Then stuck the nut to the tape and slowly fished the nut around the corner with my finger. After they were installed i did notice a difference well worth the price and labor. Word of warning is use a small shafted drill bit. After it drilled through the side wall the drill bit kind of pulled itself in. I was so lucky that it did not hit the inside of the fender and put a ding in. I also installed the brace that connects under the radiator support. There are 2 holes already there for you to connect to on the end of the frame. This brace installed in 35 minutes and 20 minutes of that was driving to Sears to get a magnet on a stick to fish the bolt out. When installing this brace be careful not to drop you bolt or it will slide in the frame about 10 inches. This brace also made a big difference. Both my braces were from kirbans.

Big difference with a T-top car. I've had two and installed the rear seat braces and the two under the rad. bars on both cars. Very nice. Never tried the under the hood brace. Thought about it, but I would rather see them in the back at the firewall.

if you have a t-top car put in all the braces available.my 85 had none and had cracks in the pillars,and flexed quite a bit.my current 87 has the rear seat,and the front frame braces and its night and day difference.

Back